Friday, September 29, 2017

Patient, Heal Thyself

This week I had my annual physical, which is really a misnomer since my doctor reminded me that I hadn't had an annual physical since early 2015.  Anywhoooo, this physical was prompted by a couple of things:

1) I've been feeling like crap most of this year. Nothing earth shattering, just generally yucky, mixed with body aches, dizziness, nausea and headaches, all of which I pinned on stress.

2) The doctor noticed I hadn't had a physical in over two years when I went in two weeks ago to finally complain about all of the above, and promptly squeezed me in for one.

In the first visit the doctor diagnosed me with vertigo and recommended I take Bonine, an over-the-counter motion sickness medication, for a while and see if it would go away.  I'm pleased to say the Bonine worked. I take a half tablet in the morning and half at night, and after next week may stop it and see if all is good again, or just take it as needed.  I gotta say, going through the day without being dizzy and nauseous is life changing.

In the second visit, the doctor examined me head to toe, drew blood, and made me pee in a cup. He also scheduled a couple of routine tests I still need to take, like a mammogram. At the end of my visit, he told me I have high blood pressure and prescribed medication.

Now here's the thing. When I fussed over the medication, because I hate taking drugs, my very sweet doctor looked me in the eye and said something like this:

If you manage your stress, eat healthy, and get regular exercise, you might be able to go off the meds.

Huh? My eyebrows shot up in disbelief, and he caught the gesture, following up with this gem:

Barring anything that crops up in the tests, there is nothing wrong with you that you can't fix yourself.

Hmmmm. Nothing I can't fix myself.

I'm not exactly a do-it-yourselfer, but I know a personal challenge when I hear one. We've all read about people who were sick, some near dying, and then recovered when they changed their lifestyle. Now I was faced with that forked path: do nothing and continue to gain weight and feel yucky, or get back to regular exercise and a healthy diet. Not that I do recreational drugs or drink much alcohol, but I sure could exercise more, lose weight, and stop binge eating under pressure.

Like he said, barring test results, I'm pretty healthy, and feel very lucky about that at my age. And blood pressure can be managed. He wants me to take my meds, and monitor my blood pressure three times a week and journal it. When I go back around the end of the year for a follow-up, he'll decide if I'm on the right path for being medication-free again.

I have about 500 days until I retire and hit the road in an RV. I certainly don't want to be sick when I do it, or have a health issue that prevents it.

And I love a good challenge...

2 comments:

Doug Pearson said...

"Patient, Heal Thyself" is indeed a big challenge and I think you are up to it, too.

Nancy Sloop said...

I just spent a large part of today (off and on) catching up with your blog entries for this year, which I thoroughly enjoyed, almost as much as I like your mystery series. I'm really looking forward to following your adventures with RV life, but I do hope to read some more Odelia Grey and Granny Apples stories. I feel a real kinship with Odelia, and I hear my Granny Armstrong sometimes in Granny Apples' sayings. It says something to me that I enjoy rereading a mystery book, when I already know "whodunit," LOL. It must be the writing!