Tuesday, August 08, 2017

On Vacation, Kind Of

In exactly 76 days, count 'em 76, I will be in Hawaii on vacation for 5 days.  I can't wait. That's a real vacation, which I generally take in the fall after most families have returned to their usual school-year activities.  Last year in October I rented an RV and joined my family at Fisherman's Memorial Campground in Rhode Island, which was a lot of fun.

But Hawaii and Rhode Island aside, I'm currently on another type of vacation. A vacation from writing.

On July 31st I turned in my 12th Odelia Grey novel to my publisher. It was also my last book under contract, which means I currently have no deadlines sucking my brain and my soul dry. As soon as that book was turned it, I gave myself permission to take a week off from writing. And except for a burst of creativity on Saturday night, which lasted until 2 am, I did take the week off from putting words to the page.

But here I am into the 2nd week and I'm still not ready to get back to the grind.  For one thing, on my usual writing schedule, I get up around 5 am on week days to write before going to my day job as a paralegal. Since the last book was turned in, I am sleeping in until 6 or 6:30, much to the chagrin of my cat, who is used to being fed at 5:30. And believe me, B is being quite vocal about the change in her feeding schedule. But I've been determined, and eventually she gives up and not so patiently waits until my feet hit the floor at the later hour.  On weekends I'm sleeping in much later, but do get up around 6 to feed the poor starving kitty.

Friends, sleep is NOT overrated. I used to say it was. I was wrong. Dead wrong. I may never get up at 5 am again, except to catch a flight.

But even with the extra sleep, I am not ready to return to punching a keyboard. I was very productive that late Saturday night, and managed to flesh out an idea for a new short story, but since then my brain has been stubborn and my muse silent. They want a vacation too and until they return, I admit, I'm a bit understaffed.

I'm hoping everybody is back to work on my latest project by this coming Monday.  If not, that's okay, as long as we're all back soon. I've got stories and books to write and without my brain and my muse, I'm kind of writing blind!


No comments: