Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Great Outdoors Is Calling My Name... Sort Of

Due to all kinds of things happening in my life, I'm back to Plan A when it comes to buying my RV. That means I will buy it closer to when I retire in early 2019, meaning I will buy it closer to the time I can actually use it.  I had wanted it NOW. NOW. NOW. But when things didn't work out the way I wanted them, I took a step back and assessed the situation. I'm now looking at this set back as the Universe telling me my timing for the RV was off. Way off.

Ok, I'm listening. Don't have to hit me in the face twice!

But here's the thing, while I'm waiting (somewhat) patiently for my new RV buying date to roll around, I've been bitten by the urge to spend more time outdoors. Yes, outdoors. In nature, surrounded by trees, babbling brooks, sunny skies, and clean air. And ticks, mosquitoes, spiders, and possibly even bears. Yeah, that outdoors.

As I confessed in my last blog about camping, I'm about as outdoorsy as chintz curtains. To me, RVing in a lovely camper van with all the amenities of my apartment (and some much nicer), is my idea of camping.  But lately I've been hanging out online with some hardcore campers and hikers and I'm starting to see things through their eyes and their gorgeous photos.  Now I want to get out there, with or without an RV, and hike.

Holy shit, did I just say I want to go hiking?

Nah, must be the Los Angeles street fumes I'm sniffing as I write this.

But, yes, it's true, I want to start spending more time outdoors, even before I travel in my future RV. So I'm thinking shortly after I finish the book I'm working on, I'll tackle a few easy local trails to get me started, then branch out from there. I have the shoes and hiking poles and proper clothes. I even have a tick key. (Yes, that's a thing.) When I was training for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run eight years ago, I would hike 4-6 miles most weekends.  And walk 3 miles a day at least 2-3 times a week.Then again, I was younger and pounds lighter.

Still, I know I can do this.

And I want to do this. I really do!

I'm tired of being a couch potato. Or should I say a computer potato?

I also have reservations at a hotel in Cayucos around Christmas to celebrate my 65th birthday, and plan on hiking there and around Morro Bay during those days.

Oh, and BTW, just because I'm ready to hike, it doesn't mean I'm going to eventually sleep on the ground in a tent. I have to draw a line against this craziness somewhere! But the truth is, I'm afraid once I'm down on the ground, I wouldn't be able to get up!

1 comment:

Doug Pearson said...

You said, "I'll tackle a few easy local trails to get me started, then branch out from there." This is the right way to do it. Start easy and *gradually* increase your effort.

Good luck. Doug