Friday, June 30, 2017

The Big Reveal Isn't Really

I've seen firsthand that being president doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are.
- Michelle Obama

I was reminded of this quote by the former First Lady this week after Donald Trump tweeted those nasty things about the Morning Joe hosts, particularly Mika Brzezinski. I only occasionally watch Morning Joe because it comes on during my prime writing time. But after Trump tweeted those attacks against Joe and Mika, I made sure I was in front of my TV the morning after, coffee in hand, to see what they had to say about it.

One of the things that struck me odd was how they were semi-defending Trump. Not the things he said or how he said them, but him, the person. They were recalling with several guests past encounters with Trump, back when they were all friends, and citing how different he was then and even up until a year or so ago. The conversation then went on to discuss whether or not Trump was suffering from declining mental capacity.  A very scary thought when you consider he has nuclear codes.

When Trump married Melania, both Rosie O'Donnell and the Clintons attended the wedding. Yet Trump has viciously attacked these people in the past couple of years. VICIOUSLY!

Most of us are well aware that Trump suffers from paranoia and run-away narcissism, and maybe he is suffering from dementia and a diminished mental capacity too, but, frankly, I've always thought he was a major asshole. I mean for decades I've thought this. Maybe he's only charming and fun when he's at parties. I don't know, because I doubt I'll ever be allowed within 10 miles of Mar-a-lago. I think they have an age and weight limit for women that I'll never meet. And I've always boycotted anything that has the Trump name on it, long before he turned to politics.

But the thing is, Trump has always been an egotistical ass. He has always screwed people over. He has always played fast and loose with other people's money, even ruining others as he's made millions. He has a long, long, long history of frivolous litigation and bullying. None of this started in the past two years. 

This is who he is.
This is who he has always been.
The presidency is just revealing his true nature.

The real question here is why were so many well-known and highly regarded people kissing his ass over the years knowing that he was willfully driving small businesses into the ground, suing at will, and bilking na├»ve dreamers with Trump University. Not to mention being a known misogynist. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It makes you wonder about their moral compasses, doesn't it?

So, Mika and Joe, while I sympathize with you being targeted, and don't support bullying of any kind, I have to ask: Why are you surprised that Donald Trump finally attacked you? You saw what he did to Rosie O'Donnell. And what he's done to the Clintons? And to everyone else in his path. And after hearing from you on your show about his threats to publish a trash piece about you, which included intimidating your families, I'm even more puzzled why you still think this is just a recent development in his personality. Behavior like this doesn't sprout overnight. It was always there. Always.

Did you not see it because you where charmed by his money and fame? If so, you're piss-poor journalists.

SAD.

No comments: