Sunday, June 25, 2017

Book Me, Danno!

All I can say is WOW!

My retirement target date is in 569 days... um 568 days... no, make that 567 days... oh hell, make that early 2019.

Yet, I've had three solid requests already for speaking engagements in 2019, none of which are in California. 2019 will be the first year I'll be free to wander the country to say hi and howdy to my many readers.

Over the years, one of the most frequent complaints I've gotten is that I don't do book tours. Not many authors do. It's a financial thing. In 2012 I wrote a blog about it. Everything in that blog still holds true today. (Read: It's All About The Math)

Enter retirement and an RV.

Once I am retired from my day job, I'll be able to wander the country visiting cool places, talking to readers, and selling signed copies of my books. I'll be able to set up speaking engagements, attend book festivals, and visit libraries and book clubs.  All the things I've wanted to do for years and could not.

Slowly the word is getting out about my plans, and the inquiries are starting to trickle in. I can't give anyone an exact date, of course, but I can put them on my calendar for 2019 with a note to contact them to set a firm date later. It's exciting!

One of the logistics of traveling like this is to try and lump events in certain areas during a set time. If I'm setting up an event in Texas one week, I cannot set one up in Maine a few days later. I won't be flying. I'll be driving. And I'll want to stop along the way in to see friends and visit state and federal parks. And I'll be writing. So besides a calendar, I'll be keeping a map close at hand.

If you would like me to visit your organization, fund raiser, library, etc. any time beyond spring 2019, please contact me via my website. I'll put you on the list and we'll work out details as the time for my Grand Adventure gets nearer.  All I'll need is a place to park my van for the night. And I won't even need hookups!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Very cool! I hadn't thought of library visits/author events. I know you're planning to see a lot of the country and maybe even get ideas or research for your writing so I wanted to give you a heads up about my corner of the world. You could park and visit nature, haunted spots and maybe get some ideas for stories or settings for Granny. And hey, now even add a library visit!
http://hauntedathensohio.com/

http://www.oldmanscavechalets.com/hocking-hills/haunted-places-in-ohio/