Wednesday, November 09, 2016

No Canada For Me

So Donald Trump won the presidency. Needless to say I am devastated.

I didn't go to the polls yesterday convinced Hillary Clinton would win. I know better than to believe in a "sure thing,"  But I had hoped it would go her way, which in my opinion was the sane way.

I am very disappointed in my fellow Americans, that they would choose someone spouting hate and division at every opportunity. A man who vows to build walls and to deport immigrants. A man backed by white supremacists.

I am an old fat straight white lady born in the USA. Trump will not go after me. I'm not on his personal hit list. Not even sexually since I'm probably a 1 on his attractiveness scale, if I even made it at all. But I worry for my friends who are gay, foreign born, of different religions, minorities. I worry about the impact a Donald Trump attitude will have on our young women and girls. I worry about our future.

Recently I had this conversation with a friend:

Me: I'm worried that if Trump wins, he'll tank the economy and ruin my retirement plans.

Friend: I wouldn't worry, we'll all be dead by then in a nuclear war.

Yeah, then there's that.

Barring nuclear war and any other unknown tragedy or destruction of our system, in four years there will be another election. A chance to make things right and elect someone sane and stable. An opportunity to make Trump a one term president.

2020 will also be the 100 year anniversary of the passing of the 19th Amendment which gave women the right to vote.  We need to make the 2020 election count like no other.

Last night on Twitter and again this morning, a lot of people said they were leaving the USA for Canada or other places. But there was one Tweet I read where the person said hell no, he won't go. He's going to stay and fight.

And that's where I stand this morning. I'm an American and I will stay and fight any injustices I can however I can, for as long as I can. I could leave when I retire. I could easily get in my RV and slip into Canada or some other quieter place - barring nuclear war. But I won't give up the good fight, because I believe in the goodness of people and I believe in the basic goodness and structure of my country.


4 comments:

chelsea said...

Perfectly stated!

Anonymous said...

You put our thoughts into clear, concise words. I too am deeply depressed at the election results. They say ro "give him a chance". I say first show me a leopard that has changed his spots. God bless us all--we're going to need all the blessings we can get in the days ahead.

Kathleen Costa said...

I posted this yesterday after having an extremely rough night. I joke about leaving, but this is my country, too. I pray, and I'm not religious, I pray for those who will be greatly harmed by Trumpisms. I am very scared.
November 9...Today I am having a very hard time to even think about being thankful. I turned to my husband and began to cry, overcome by the deep fear I feel about Donald Trump being elected President. My husband held me tight and reminded me, "We have each other...we'll survive the changes together." How? I am so deeply worried about the global, financial, and social upheaval that could take place. In the least? Nothing will get done because it was all talk, and reality is different than rhetoric. At the worst? Women's rights, LGBT's rights, marriage equality, minorities' rights, reasonable immigration, global coalitions...ALL GONE! I don't know what to do now...

Doug Pearson said...

I, too, am worried. I've just re-read Trump's promise of what he will do in his first 100 days. Here are some of the things that scare me the most:

I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal. [Exactly the opposite of what we need to have any hope of ameliorating Global Warming. It's going to be bad enough without this. Also, there are other, supporting actions that will pour fuel on the fires of Global Warming.]

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act.

End Illegal Immigration Act.

Restoring National Security Act. [This proposal for spending increases, along with tax cuts and other spending increases, will mean skyrocketing deficits or draconian cuts to unidentified programs.]