Thursday, November 17, 2016

I Still Miss You, Baby Boy

A year ago I said goodbye to Raffi, my gray and white bundle of  obstinate energy. He was felled my intestinal cancer. It happened quickly and I still greatly mourn and miss him. Pets bring so much into our lives, but losing them is so painful. Still, the joy out weighs the pain by a landslide.

I'm in the middle of downsizing my apartment as I get ready to retire and hit the road in an RV. Recently I was moving stuff around and packing up when I stumbled upon a small hidden cache of Raffi's favorite toys. Raffi loved to hide his toys. I'm not sure if it was to keep B from playing with them or because he thought it was a game, but every now and then I'd see him playing with a small stuffed item I hadn't see in a while, then as quickly as it appeared, it would magically disappear. He was a true pack rat. I'm sure as I keep cleaning out items in the house, I'll find more of his treasurers and have a few more tearful moments.

This is one of my favorite photos of Raffi. He'd actually photo bombed a shot I was trying to take of B by jumping up in front of the camera just as I snapped it. It's a one in million shot, just as he was a one in a million kitty.

A lot of people say when a pet dies it crosses the rainbow bridge and lives on beyond the bridge. I don't know if I believe in that, but it's a charming thought. One thing I do know is that Raffi will live on in my heart until I draw my own last breath.

1 comment:

Pearl R. Meaker said...

I know how you feel, I've had a couple of special kitties I've had to say goodbye to. Hugs 😞 ❤️