Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Another Party I'm Missing - For Now

I love going to book conferences. Really, I do. But the sad truth is that I attend very few.

There are a lot of discussions on whether they are worth the time and money they suck up, especially considering that there are 3-4 major ones a year and a bushel of lesser ones scattered about the country.

If an author attends just the major cons, it can cost in the neighborhood of $7,000-10,000 a year. And that's not counting time away from a day job and writing. My honest opinion is that the benefits aren't enough to justify the cost, especially since few authors make any decent money off their books.

Then again, how do you put a price on face time with readers and camaraderie with other writers? You really can't, and this is the part I miss most.

The last two conferences I attended took place here in Southern California. It was an easy schlep and the cost could be kept to a minimum. I also didn't have to take much time away from the office and my writing. A win-win.  Next year I'll be attending the California Crime Writers Conference here in California. Then again, I'm a co-chair of the event, so I kind of have to attend.

CCWC is not a fan-based conference, meaning it's a two-day conference for writers, no matter what their level of experience. If you fit into that category, please consider attending.  It's a great conference! You can find information about it HERE.

In a few days the annual Bouchercon World Mystery Convention will convene. This time in New Orleans. This is the largest fan-based mystery con in the country - the grand daddy of cons for crime writers. I've been to several and always have a good time.

Reading the Facebook posts of friends preparing for the event is kind of like standing on a porch looking through a window at a fun birthday party. But soon I'll be attending those parties again.  I've promised myself that once I retire and hit the road, my RV and I will be putting many conferences on our must-see list. I can drive to wherever the conference is, as long as it's not in Hawaii, and I won't have that pesky limit on my vacation time. Sounds great to me!

In the meantime, I'll sit on my sofa, rub B's belly, and sob into my Two Buck Chuck.

Yes, that's pathetic, but that's the image I was going for.

No Hurricanes or fried alligator for me this week.

1 comment:

Pearl R. Meaker said...

I hope you'll come to Magna Cum Murder in Indianapolis once you're happily ensconced in your RV. :-) It's probably going to be the only conference I ever get to since it's the shortest drive - 3 hours. I'd love to meet you someday! :-)