Friday, September 09, 2016

$18 Entitles Me To A Rant!

Yesterday I bought plane tickets to fly from Los Angeles, CA to Hartford, CT in preparation of my upcoming vacation with my family.  Every fall my family camps at Fisherman's Memorial State Park  at Point Judith, RI. This year I'm joining them. YAY!

But wait, there's more!

I rented the campground next to my family and yesterday I also leased an RV for the occasion!  Double YAY!

As most of you know, I'm planning on living in an RV when I retire in about 2 years. The RV I rented is bigger than the one I plan on buying, but it was the smallest they had for a short-term lease.  This will be a very short trial run and my first encounter with hooking up a black water tank. (That's a sewer tank for those of you not familiar with RV speak.) Should be fun and interesting. Pics to come, unless I'm covered in shit.

Speaking of shitty, lets talk about the plane tickets I booked.

I got a decent price. Not a yowsa great price, but it was under what I'd budgeted. The flying times were pretty much normal for flying coast to coast. I got them through Travelocity and the transaction was smooth as silk, right down to picking my seats.

So what's my beef? 


The problem came when I was picking my seats. I like aisle seats. I only book aisle seats. And on three of the 4 legs of my round trip, I got said seats with no problem. The issue came with one leg of the journey (and the shortest one).  They had plenty of aisle seats left in economy, but all the "freebies" were taken. All the other aisle seats were tagged as "premium" and came with an additional fee from $18-$40.

I kid you not. Seat 17D cost me an additional $18, while a few aisles back a similar seat would have been included in the price, had it been available.

Seat 17D does NOT come with extra leg room or extra ass room, a meal, more overhead storage, or free checked luggage. It's only claim to fame is that it's a few more rows forward in the cabin. That's it!  17D gets to the destination at the same time as seat 20D. If the plane falls out of the sky, I don't have a better chance of survival because of that $18. There is no upside to 17D to make it worth any upgrade at all. NONE. NADA. But unless I want to be squeezed into an aisle seat, I gotta pay the $18.

Really American Airlines???!! Really???!!! Isn't it bad enough that you gouge us on baggage and change fees? But I shouldn't pick on American Airlines. All the airlines are pulling this greedy stunt. And I've paid premium before, but it was for extra room. This charge got me nothing.

That $18 could have bought me a nice seafood lunch in Rhode Island!

I guess I should be happy 17D was available. A few rows up, the price would have doubled for the same freaking seat in a different aisle!

If I had more time, I'd rent an RV here in Los Angeles and drive the damn thing across country. But, alas, there's no time for that ... yet.

Okay, Sue Ann, you're going on vacation and you're visiting your family. Forget about the $18, take a deep breath, and repeat after me:


But it's still

1 comment:

Mark Baker said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I ran into that booking seats for a business trip. Augh!!!

However, they don't seem to charge that if you go to their own site. And their prices are usually the same as on the discount sites. I just have to go through one particular site for work.

Still, it's outrageous.