Sunday, August 28, 2016

Green Beans Not Green Jeans

A Half-Assed Vegan Post

When I was a kid and watched Captain Kangaroo, I always thought his sidekick's name was Mr. Green Beans, not Mr. Green Jeans. What did I know? Our TV was black and white and the only jeans I'd ever seen were blue.

On the other hand, I did know what a green bean was and I liked them. Fresh or frozen. Italian cut or regular. Cooked or raw. Made no difference to me.

This past week I made a couple of dishes with green beans. I started out with a favorite bean salad called Speedy Three Bean Salad from Oh She Glows. (BTW, I also toss in some lightly steamed corn and peas.)  I took this for lunch several days, serving it over a bed of mixed greens (not jeans).  Yummy and packed with protein.

I also stir-fried some green beans up with a bit of garlic and olive oil until they were crispy and a bit caramelized, tossed in some slivered almonds and a few dried cranberries, to make a great side dish to go with risotto.


Tomorrow I'm throwing this string bean and seitan stew into my slow cooker. The stew is a take-off of an Armenian lamb stew I always enjoyed before going half-assed vegan. It's easy, nutritious, vegan, and low in calories.

In addition to being quite tasty, green beans are so very good for you! They are low in calories, high in fiber, and pack a ton of vitamins and nutrients.

I'll bet even Mr. Green Jeans ate them!




 Tomato, Green Bean and Seitan Stew

 1 pkg of cubed seitan (I drain and rinse it because it's so salty)*
 1 large can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and seasoning
 1 onion chopped into large pieces
 1 tablespoon olive oil
 Green beans cut into bite size pieces - about 1 lb. (I usually use fresh, but you could use a bag of frozen)
 1-2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
 salt and pepper to taste
 2 cups water
2 small red potatoes, unpeeled, chopped into bite-size pieces (optional)

Saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil until onions are soft. Add the seitan and brown a little. Add the tomatoes and green beans, potatoes if using, salt, pepper oregano, and water. Bring to boil and simmer for about an hour on low or until green beans are cooked through. (Note: I usually make this in a slow cooker, but it's not necessary.)

*For those of you who eat meat, you can substitute in cubed beef or lamb, but saute longer to brown.

No comments: