Sunday, July 17, 2016

And The Beet Goes On

A Half-Assed Vegan Post

I have always loved beets. It was one of the few vegetables my mother liked so we ate them often growing up. Always out of a can, heated on the stove. That's how we ate all our veggies growing up. My mother only liked waxed beans, spinach, beets, peas, green beans and corn. All canned. The only fresh vegetables we had were iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and potatoes.  And occasionally green peppers.

It's amazing that I came to love fresh veggies given my childhood, but maybe that's why I do.

I still buy canned vegetables, but the only ones I do are beans, baby corn (which I love to stir-fry and put on salads) and beets. I hate peeling and cutting fresh beets. They are messy and stain. I say let the food companies do that nasty task for me.

My favorite way to eat beets is in salads, either on top of a green salad or used in more creative salads. The best beet salad I've ever had was a roasted beet salad at Mario Batali's B&B restaurant in Las Vegas. It was a heavenly concoction of several types of roasted beets with mint.

My favorite beet salad that I make is one I devised after eating the quinoa and beet salad from Mendocino Farms. Hmmm, I thought, I could make that and probably make it better and healthier, just as I did their curried cauliflower salad. And I did.

I make this a lot to take to work for lunch. It's chock full of protein and freshness. I serve it piled on top of a mound of fresh micro greens. It's a great summer salad. I'm making it tonight!

Beet Salad with Quinoa, Apples and Cranberries

1/2 c quinoa uncooked
1 regular size can of whole baby beets, drained and cut into bite size pieces
1 apple, cored and chopped (I don't peel mine)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing:
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2-1/2 tbl. red wine vinegar
2 tbl. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil (can be omitted)

Cook the quinoa according to directions and let cool.

Combine beets, apple, almonds, cranberries and salt and pepper in large bowl. Fold in cooled quinoa.

Whisk together dressing ingredients in small bowl. Pour over salad and mix in. Cover bow and let sit in fridge at least an hour so flavors can blend. Stir before serving.

Beets are super healthy for you too, packed with fiber and vitamins!



3 comments:

Kevin said...

I had forgotten how much I like beets until I read this. Though I'm not crazy about Dijon mustard I may have to try this (or substitute horseradish (aka spicy) mustard).

Kevin

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Kevin, I often use horseradish mustard in this dish and it comes out great. And if you don't have any lemons in the house, a splash of apple cider vinegar works as a substitute.

Anonymous said...

I've eaten beets and still don't like them. I keep trying. Maybe my distaste is from my mother drinking cold borscht layered with sour cream out of a glass. I thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Of course, I also thought that of liver, which is now one of my favorite things.

Jill Patterson