Monday, June 13, 2016

Go Learn Some Shit

In almost every episode of NCIS New Orleans Agent Dwayne Pride, played by the always yummy Scott Bakula, tells his young team "go learn something" as he sends them out to solve a crime.

Leaning is cool and you're never too old to do it. I've been learning a lot lately about RVs and the RV lifestyle.

Although I'm not hitting the road for at least 2 years, I want to be prepared. I also want to make sure there's nothing that will be a deal breaker, not even the draining of the sewer tank, which, thanks to several You Tube videos, I feel I could do right this minute without much of a hiccup.

Yeah, my book deadline is behind me so I'm spending my time learning how to dump human waste in a clean and efficient manner.  Somehow I need to work that into a book.

But that's not all I've learned recently.

Thanks to a plethora of blogs and You Tube videos, I've also leaned about the best internet connections while on the road, best way to boondock (dry camping - no hookups), how to meet people, find camping spots, the basics of RV electrical and plumbing systems, storage organization, safety issues, and RV buying and financing. I've even read and viewed videos on how to decide on the best RV for my needs and how best to acclimate a cat to RV life.

My favorite RV bloggers quickly rose to the top:

The Fit RV - James and Stef are fitness trainers who also do a lot of reviews of different types of RVs, products, RV renovation tips, and how to stay fit on the road.  They also have a great blog post called 8-Step Program For Choosing Your First RV.  Through it I realized that for me to be comfortable on the road I must have (in order of importance) a dry bath (shower separate), good working area where I can sit comfortably for several hours a day and write, good storage, and a permanent bed. I don't need fancy slides or all the bells and whistles and even the permanent bed is negotiable if I find everything else.

Technomadia - I have found this blog and site to be my go-to for all kinds of straight-talk information on the RV lifestyle. They are also experts in all things techy and had the best video explanation on internet connectivity while on the road. This weekend I watched their video: 10 Things That Suck About Full Time RVing. It was extremely informational and entertaining.  Cherie and Chris also do a lot of Q&A with their followers.

Gone With the Wynns - This couple has just transitioned to a sail boat, but their RV blog is full of archived valuable information. And they're cute, energetic, and have two cats. What's not to like?

The Freedom Theory - Josh and Kali are just too cute for words and have a lot of great and informational You Tube videos on everything from techy stuff to money issues.

In addition, just this past week I was invited to join a Facebook group called Authors on the Road, whose members are all writers living either full-time or part-time on the road.

I have found my people and they have knowledge; knowledge I intend to suck dry like a vampire dining on brains. Or should I say absorb like a thirsty sponge? Nah, I like the vampire thing better.

No comments: