Monday, May 09, 2016

Pea Green With Taste!

A Half-Assed Vegan Post

I love peas! There, I've said it. Out loud.  With no shame.
  • I love them dried in split pea soup.
  • Fresh in soup.
  • Added to casseroles and pastas.
  • Raw in salads.
  • Pea pods sauteed up in a stir-fry.
  • Peas are a cheerful veggie with its bright color and willingness to be added to most any dish, hot or cold.
  • The only way I won't eat them is out of a can.

These little guys are super healthy too!

One of my favorite recipes is this creamy asparagus and pea soup from Minimalist Baker. I make it quite often. At the same time, I usually make this lemony mushroom asparagus pasta or some other pasta with asparagus.  I use the tips of the asparagus with the pasta and the stalks for the soup. Since they're just going to be pureed for the soup, they don't have to look pretty.

I often add a handful of peas to recipes that don't even call for them, both hot and cold. I have a favorite curried cauliflower salad that I adapted from the famous Mendocino Farms cauliflower couscous salad. Here's the basic recipe, BUT in mine I reduce the pasta by half and add a ton more carrots and only half the mayo ... and I add peas!

Another favorite recipe is this cauliflower and chickpea coconut curry from Oh My Veggies. Near the end, while it's simmering, I add a cup of frozen peas that have been partially thawed under the faucet. They also add a lot of bright color to an otherwise beige dish.

This week I made these samosa inspired potato and pea patties from Minimalist Baker, which are also chock full of ... you guessed it ...peas! BTW, I bake the patties in the oven to save on calories and fat. The cilantro based green chutney is to die for!

And let's not forget another health benefit of peas. If you need an ice pack, simply slap a bag of frozen peas on your injury.  After the swelling goes down, you can cook them up and eat them!

There is always a bag of frozen peas in my freezer ... always. I may not always have ice, but I always have peas!

No comments: