Monday, May 16, 2016

Oh The Places I'll Go!

Oh The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Not too long ago I announced that when I retire in a few years that I plan on buying an RV and traveling this beautiful country. Since then I've been doing a lot of research on what type of RV I'd like. And I've done a lot of research on what things I need to take and what I need to leave behind.

Yes, I know I'm three years from retiring, but I'm compulsive (read anal) when it comes to things like this.

Now I'm focusing on making a wish list of places I want to see. Topping the list are two destinations that couldn't be more different or far apart: Key West, Florida and Alaska. Something tells me I won't be seeing both of those in one year, but who knows!

Also on the list are the Smoky Mountains and Bryce Canyon. I'd also like to see Hilton Head, Martha's Vineyard, both North and South Dakota, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Austin, TX, Big Sur, and drive across Canada. Places I want to revisit: Sedona,Vermont, New Orleans, British Columbia, Wisconsin and Maine.

And, of course, along the way, I'll be zig-zagging between friends and family and seeing as many of my wonderful readers as possible.

In looking at the various styles and floor plans of RVs, one thing is for sure, it must have a very comfortable set up for writing! (And a decent bed and bathroom.)

The biggest challenge of this retirement plan is putting it aside for now and concentrating on the deadlines still on my plate and the books still to write. After all, I also need to build up my book income to help finance my life on the road. RVs and gas cost money.

But I know from my pursuit of becoming a published author that to reach a goal, you must focus on it. You must have it in your sights, even while you are doing other tasks that must be done. Long term goals must constantly run in the back of your brain like security software runs on your computer. Every now and then you bring it to the forefront and concentrate on laying another brick to the path of that goal, until the long-term goal becomes a short-term goal, and eventually a reality. I'm already taking steps toward dismantling my life in Los Angeles. Not drastic steps, but steps needed to get me started.


And OMG, do I have a lot of crap to get rid of!

Meanwhile, I have other more-pressing goals that also need to be addressed, like new books to write and establishing myself as an independent author.

Just some of the bricks to be laid on my Yellow Brick Road...

3 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Have I mentioned recently how jealous I am?

Alisa said...

A friend and her husband have an RV and spend winters in Key West every year. They love it! I'm like Mark, so jealous!

Liza Pilon said...

Let me tell you from experience that you better plan and extra week when you decide to make it down to Key West. The seven mile bridge is one of the most amazing roads you will ever see in your life and you will want to stop several times along the way to enjoy everything that is tropical living down there!

Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV