Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wanderlust In Waiting

I've been bitten by the wanderlust bug. Bitten bad. All I can think about is getting in my car and setting out on a road trip.

Somewhere.

Anywhere.

More and more I'm thinking that maybe when I retire, I'll get rid of most of my stuff, put the rest in storage, and hit the road. 

Seriously. 

That's the direction my mind is going as I contemplate my golden years without the good ole day job. After all, I can write anywhere. 

I've been to most of the states in the US, but I'd love to see them all. The only states I haven't been to are Alaska, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming. I've even been to Puerto Rico.

It could be fun. I'll just gas up the car and hit the highway, visiting friends, family, readers, historical sites, Waffle Houses, and the world's largest ball of twine. Which, by the way, is located in Cawker City, Kansas. If I like a place, maybe I settle in for a few days.

The closer I get to retirement, the more I understand why so many retirees hit the road in RVs. It's our last chance to see the stuff we've been missing while punching a time clock.

According to the count down app on my phone, I have at least 993 days until I retire.

Yes, they have an app for that.

That doesn't mean I'll retire in exactly 993 days, but that is the soonest I will be able to do the deed.

It's going to go by in the blink of an eye... I'd better gas up the car.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Get yourself a nice rv and do it! Not only can you write anywhere, the new scenery will inspire more stories. Sounds awesome!