Friday, April 01, 2016

Fat Woman Biking


Back in January I wrote a blog called Fat Woman Walking. In it I explained how several friends and I challenged ourselves to walk (or bike or run or swim) 2016 miles in 2016.

The first three months are now in the hopper and here are my stats:

Miles to date: 249.31

I incurred deficits in both January and February as I got ramped up. Figuring on about 168 miles per month average to meet the 2016 mile goal, I'm about 254 miles in the hole.  But in March I was just shy of my monthly quota and from here on out I should be able to whack off the deficit over time and be right on track.

Most of these miles were accrued on my recumbent bike as I have an arthritic right knee. As I increased my walking in January and February, my knee started protesting. A few years back my doctor told me to either bike or swim to help my knee. But did I? Once in a while, but only on days with the letter P in them. Now I'm pedaling 7-10 miles almost every day, pushing to go faster and further and my knee is feeling pretty good.  The doc was right. Imagine that? I'm still getting in some walking. A lot of days, my combined miles are somewhere between 7-10 miles. I allow myself one day a week for a rest day.

It's not easy. Some days I piss and moan like a whiny little kid about getting my big ole butt on the bike, but I do it because I'm determined to reach my goal of 2016 miles. The first few miles each day are tough. Usually I watch TV while I pedal and it helps the time fly. I was reading while working out, but as I go faster and get sweatier, I find it tougher to concentrate on the reading.

3 months down, 9 months to go.

249.31 miles down, 1766.69 to go.

I got this!

2 comments:

MaryAnn Forbes said...

Way to go Sue Ann!! You will definitely achieve your goal the way you are going; kudos to you.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks, MaryAnn!