Friday, April 29, 2016

An Early Birdie Gets The Manuscript Done

This is kind of laughable right now since I am woefully behind in finishing my current work in progress, but it's not for lack of trying. But that's a whole 'nother blog topic.

I'm an early bird. Unless I'm not feeling well or am unusually tired, I get up between 5 and 5:30 every morning during the week without setting an alarm.  Even when my dear Raffi was alive, I was often awake before he hopped on the bed and commenced chewing my hair, demanding his breakfast.

When folks ask how I'm able to get so much writing done while juggling a day job, I point to this habit first thing. I write in the morning, after I feed my other cat B, clean her box, and brew my coffee. I take a few minutes to do some social media chores and posts, then it's all about the writing for a couple of hours. Between 8 and 8:30 I break to do my exercise, then shower and it's off to the day job. Sometimes I even write during my lunch hour.

On weekends, I'm up fairly early, usually by 7 or 7:30. When on vacation, I'm usually writing by 7 am at the hotel or cottage, or wherever I'm hanging my hat.

There is seldom a day in the year when I don't put my fingers to the key board in the morning. Yes, there are some, like when I'm ill or experiencing burnout or my focus must be directed elsewhere, but not very many.

Not all writers are morning people. A lot of my writer friends write at night, after their family has turned in and the house is quiet. Some have the luxury of not working a day job so can write during the day and for a much longer block of time. I know of a few who only write for long stints on weekends,

There is no right way to write when it comes to when and where. Through trial and error, and sometimes circumstances, a dedicated author will find what works best for them. Some work in coffee shops with people around them. Some, like me, prefer the privacy and the comfort of my home. Some write with a playlist, others, again like me, prefer no music in the background. But we all spend time writing.

The only thing that is a MUST is making a commitment to a schedule, whatever it may be personally, and sticking to it.  If you only write on weekends, then make sure you do it. If you only have an hour a day, then make that hour a priority.

Frankly, it pisses me off when wannabe writers tell me they have a great idea for a book but no time to write it.  To that I say BULLSHIT! If you really want to write, then put your ass in a chair and write, even if it's only for 30 minutes a day. Put the TV remote down and get to a computer! If you don't, then you really don't want to write, because writing is compulsory for a writer.

TIP: You can't write a book by rubbing a magic lamp or 
wishing on a star while turning around three times.

I write in the early morning because it's the best time I have to get in a quality block of time. At night after work I'm tired and not as focused. I have conditioned myself to go to bed at a decent hour so I can get up early to get it done, because there is no other time that works as well for me. I don't whine about it. I just do it.

I know women who crank out book after book while raising children, cooking meals, and driving carpool.

Now doesn't that put all those sorry ass excuses to shame?

1 comment:

Linda Atwater said...

I thank you for your dedication to writing.