Thursday, January 14, 2016

Truly, Madly, Deeply Saddened

Today I slept in 2 extra hours. I needed it. I was exhausted from juggling two writing deadlines with a heavy work load at the law firm where I'm a paralegal. When I did finally crawl out of bed around 7, I was greeted with two sad bits of news:

1) I did not win the $1.5 billion Powerball.

2) Alan Rickman had died.

The first one I expected. The second cut me to my heart.

From Truly Madly Deeply
You see, since 1991, when I first saw the movie Truly Madly Deeply, I have been infatuated with British actor Alan Rickman. I'll bet I've seen almost every movie he's made from the blockbuster Harry Potter movies, to Sense and Sensibilities, Galaxy Quest, Love Actually, Robin Hood: Price of Thieves, Die Hard, Quigley Down Under, Something the Lord Made, just to name a few, and even dogs like Blow Dry.

Over the years I have watched this man, this brilliant actor, play comedy, action, drama, bad guys, and good guys. I watched him age and never once lost my attraction to him as both a man and an actor.  His voice alone could make me weak in the knees.

I even wrote him into my Odelia Grey mystery series, giving Odelia the same star crush:

 I was sitting on my sofa, knee deep into the bucket-o-puddin’, watching the movie Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. It’s one of my all time favorites. Not because it stars Kevin Costner, but because it boasts the British actor Alan Rickman cast as the Sheriff of Nottingham. I have a thing for Rickman. In my eyes, he is right up there with My-T-Fine chocolate pudding. (from The Curse Of The Holy Pail)

I was ... I am ... an Alan Rickman SUPER FAN!

I'm in my 60's now and it seems at least once a week, celebrities, TV and movie stars, musicians, athletes, and news makers I've grown up with are passing away. They are aging just as I am. It's a slap in the face, a brutal reminder of my own mortality.

But this lost ... this passing ... cut my heart out with a spoon...

From Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves


L. Z. Golden said...

Amen to that, sister. Whether he played the heavy (RH, POT), the good guy (S&S) or One of Dogma's Angels, the man always had my heart. Now I am heart broken

chelsea said...

Hans Gruber is a large reason why Die Hard is one of my favorite movies! I also had a serious crush on Alan Rickman.

Linda C Smith said...

His portrayal of Alexander Dane, playing an alien, in Galaxy Quest is forever my favorite. I cried when I saw the headline this morning. I, too, am in my 60s and I say enough! with this dying of folks while so young. Oh what songs could David Bowie have written into his 90s? What characters would Alan Rickman have brought to life on stage and film into his 90s? The theaters of heaven got one of their own back. Sad.

Bonnie said...

My sentimental favorite is Colonel Brandon. But you are right he gave class to everything he touched. And I agree with Linda. Galaxy Quest was hilarious, and he was one of the major reasons.

Sarah S. said...

Truly madly of my very favorites. So very sad..hugs

Sarah S. said...

Truly madly of my very favorites. So very sad..hugs