Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Only Sexy Vegan Doctors Need Apply

It was just a matter of time before my half-assed veganism leaked into my writing.

On February 1, 2016, WILDE WOMEN, my second steamy romance novella featuring Winnie Wilde, will be released. Winnie's love interest in this e-book is Dr. Gabriel Dunn, a Jamaican E.R. doctor with a dynamite bod and a charming smile.

And he's a vegan.

Or as Winnie says when she first meets him:

“You have a body like that eating only fruits and vegetables?”

For their first breakfast together, he makes her a tofu scramble.

If I'm lying, I'm dying.

I write several series, each with their own large cast of characters. When developing characters in fiction, you have to decide even the most common quirks and habits fairly early on and weave them into the fabric of the character:

Do they smoke?
Do they have an alcohol problem, active or recovering?
Did they grow up in a big family?
Do they pick their nose? Chew gum? Suck on lollypops?
Do they grind their teeth or whistle when they're nervous?
Do they collect frogs?
Swear like a sailor?
What do they like to eat?

It's all part of what makes a fictional character believable.

In my Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series, lead protagonist Emma Whitecastle is a pescetarian (no meat, but does eat seafood). Odelia Grey of my Odelia Grey mystery series will eat anything but okra and has a penchant for Thin Mints and Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Winnie Wilde eats fairly healthy, eating meat only on occasion. They all drink iced tea most of the time and enjoy their booze, but not to excess. The booze, that is.

Like I said, it was just a matter of time before a vegan character showed up somewhere in my work, and, trust me, Dr. Gabe is as yummy and as exotic as a fragrant curry.

And boy is he SEXY! (Think Morris Chestnut with a Jamaican accent.)

WILDE WOMEN and the first book in the series, RUNNING WILDE, are both available in digital format on Amazon for $2.99 each.

 *And, yes, I am Meg Chambers. That's my pen name for the Winnie Wilde series, in case you haven't heard.

No comments: