Monday, January 11, 2016

Fat Woman Walking

Yep that's me this year. When a few of my Facebook friends took up the challenge of walking/running/biking 2016 miles in the year 2016, I decided to join them.

2016 in 2016!

Do the math and that works out to just over 5.5 miles a day (2016 is a leap year).

As of the writing of this blog, I have chalked up 17.34 miles. Yeah. Yeah. I know, I'm already behind 37.66 miles. I got a late start on this by a few days and I'm so out of shape that I haven't been able to get close to 5 miles a day yet.

BUT (and please notice this is not BUTT, as in my big ole butt), I have faith in myself that I can chalk up 2016 miles in 2016.

Walking is easy. It's free. Biking on my stationary bike is easy (hell, it's in front of the TV), and it's also free. Running, well, that ain't happening, not with my bad knee. The goal here is to log 2016 miles this year, not to become crippled. And it will be so good for me in so many ways!

I'm tackling this challenge with the same determination I mustered when I took on the Camp Pendleton Mud Run in 2009. You can read about that HERE.

When I first let people know that I was going to do the Mud Run, a lot of them laughed and said I'd never be able to finish. WELL, BITE ME! I did finish, and I finished within the qualifying time! When I first started talking about doing 2016 in 2016, again people said I'd never be able to do it.
Finish Line at Camp Pendleton

Ye of little to no faith, 
you have no idea with whom you're dealing!
I mean, I'm a woman who writes 2-3 novels a year, and manages to hold down a busy day job!

In training for the Mud Run, I started slow and gradually built up my workouts until I was walking 3-6 miles a day, often on hilly terrain. And that was just walking for training. For the 2016 in 2016 challenge, we're adding up every step taken, even those in our day-to-day lives, such as walking from the car to the house, from our desks to the bathroom, from the couch to the fridge. (Hopefully, in a few weeks, there will be less of this last one.) Most of us are wearing devices such as FitBits.

To encourage those participating, I've started a Facebook group called 2016 in 2016. It's a group of people from all walks of life, all ages, and all levels of fitness, who have one common purpose: to move themselves by their own physical power 2016 miles in the year 2016.

It's only day 11 and we're having a good time cheering each other on. Some of the members are hardcore exercisers and are throwing down big numbers. Most, though, are like me, building up to the miles but determined to git 'er done!  

If you're interested in joining us in this challenge, just come HERE and ask to join.

Note, this is a closed group with a specific purpose.  No whining, and no politics or other off topic comments will be tolerated. SPAMMERS WILL BE BEATEN TO A PULP.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with my FitBit (who I named George).

2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Way to go!! And I have no doubt you can do it.

Sheila Eitniear said...

We have faith in you. You'll make it πŸšΆπŸ‘Ÿ