Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 - A Hard Bumpy Road

It was a very good year - NOT!

I can't wait to see the door slam on 2015. For me personally, it was far and away not one of my best, though it was memorable.

I don't want to appear to be a whiner, because I know a lot of people had an even worst year, but here's a quick recap:

The downhill slide started with my having surgery in February. From there I had and continue to have other health issues. Nothing life threatening or serious, but annoying things that got in the way of my usual hard core writing schedule and fun.

My brother Thom died in May from liver disease.

My cat Raffi died in November from cancer.

It was also the first year in ten years in which I did not write a single novel from start to finish. It's true. I finished editing two books and a novella that were already in the works, two of which were released this year - A BODY TO SPARE and THE GHOST OF MISTLETOE MARY. And I finished up WILDE WOMEN, the second Winnie Wilde romance novella coming out in February. But all of those were started last year and finished in 2015.

In a writing career where historically I've cranked out two novels and either a novella or a short story every year, 2015 was a disaster. I had two novels due to two different publishers and didn't deliver either. And I felt/feel like crap about it, adding to my already emotionally beaten-up year. It's definitely not how I roll. But at the risk of sounding glib, life happens.

Both publishers were gracious and kept giving me extension, but here I am in late December and neither book has been completed, although I've made and continue to make great progress, and they will be finished in time to meet the next and final extensions over the next few months. Of that I'm sure, unless I get hit by a bus between now and then, which given my year I don't rule out. And both will be out in late 2016.  As for short stories and the third Winnie Wilde romance, those will have to wait until I get these books to the publishers.

As I mentioned above, I know of a lot of friends and acquaintances who suffered great and serious losses in 2015: the passing of spouses and loved ones, the passing of beloved pets, the loss of jobs, and major illnesses. It's all part of life and life bitch slapped a lot of us in 2015.

Usually I set goals and make several resolutions for the new year. For 2016 I have only one:

I will take better care of myself, 
physically, mentally, and emotionally.

That means eating better, and making exercise a priority. To not do things or make decisions that will add stress to my life. To not overbook myself and to say NO when needed. I have a very busy 2016 ahead of me, but I will handle it all to the best of my ability so that when life throws down a nail strip or two, I can maneuver around it instead of blowing a tire.

Welcome 2016!  But I'm warning you, if you think for a minute you're going to follow 2015's example, think again. It's game on, and this old lady came to play and win!

1 comment:

Jules said...

I'm right there with you Sue Ann: one resolution. That's the way to go.