Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Hard Decisions, New Challenges

Sometimes an author has to make difficult decisions to further his or her career. Sometimes they have to make those decisions to keep themselves sane. This past week I made a decision for both reasons. And now that I've told my publisher about my decision, I can share it here.

THE GHOSTS OF MISTY HOLLOW, the ninth book in my very popular Ghost of Granny Apples series, will be my last for a while. This full-length novel will be released by Penguin/Berkeley in summer of 2016 in both print and e-book formats.

I know I'm going to get a load of flack for this decision, but it was one that had to be made.

Over the next few years I have obligated myself to some heavy commitments in the writing community that will take up a lot of my time, so I needed to remove the stress of hard deadlines.

Since moving Granny from its original publisher to Penguin three years ago, I have written 3 novels and 3 novellas for them. That's a lot of writing, and they were very understanding about my decision.

I still have two more Odelia Grey novels to deliver to Midnight Ink, one in progress and due in a few months, and one next year, for a full dozen books contracted in that series.

If you're doing the math, consider this:  In the past 11 years, I've penned 11 Odelia Grey books, 9 Granny Apples books, and 2 Madison Rose Vampire Mysteries. That's 22 novels/novellas, all under contract deadlines. And that doesn't include the first Winnie Wilde romance novella and assorted short stories that I've done on my own.

And remember, I still work a full time day job, and I'm not a youngster.

Frankly, I'm pooped.

I'm also very humbled and grateful that during all this time publishers and readers alike have wanted those books. I have been very fortunate in my writing career. I know it and don't take it for granted.

I don't know at this point if Granny Apples is done or merely going on hiatus. I won't make that decision for about two years. As for Odelia Grey, I have made the decision not to contract for any more books. Odelia books that come out after #12 will probably be released as independents and with a little different focus.

Over the next few years, I will be doing more independent projects, like expanding the Winnie Wilde series, and focusing on some half completed novels that I've been biting at the bit to finish but didn't have the time. I will also be writing and releasing BETRAYED BY BLOOD, the 3rd book in my Madison Rose Vampire Mysteries.

In other words, all of my writing in the next few years will be done on my schedule without contractual deadlines, so that I can juggle my other obligations with my writing with less stress.

For those of you who love Granny, Emma and Phil, I know you'll be disappointed with this news, but I trust you to understand.


Alisa said...

Yes, sad news but you have to do what's best for you. In the end, what works for you will work for your readers because you'll be refreshed and feel more creatively free. I'll miss Emma, Granny, Phil but will look forward to more Winnie, Madison and anything new coming down the pike (the Bowen clan maybe?) Luckily I'll be able to re-read the Granny and Odelia books for years to come.

Susan said...

So happy you've found a way to lessen your stress while continuing to write on YOUR schedule. All us fans know you will continue to introduce us to New, fascinating people and places. I'm with you 150%!!

Cynthia Rielley said...

I am so proud of yo!!! You have to take care of you as no one else can or will. A forced writing project is most often junk. I would much rather have a happy you creating wonderful stories full of passion creativity and your full imagination then pressure cooker crap from a bucket of stress.

Marge Burglund said...

I can't imagine how you have done so much. I, like all of your readers, will love reading whatever you write, whenever you write it! You make life fun with everything you do. To continue your writing, you need to start thinking of YOU first. Thank you for all of the pleasure you have given me so far with your wonderful gift.

Anonymous said...

Will miss everyone, Sue Ann but I knot this is the right decision for you. Good for you! xoxo

Barb Goffman said...

You have to do what's right for you. Congratulations on making a hard decision.

Linda R said...

I'm not interested in Madison Rose or Winnie Wilde so, yes, I'm disappointed but I know what it's like to be tired. And since I read all your posts, I know how early you get up to write, so I do understand. But I'm pouting

RJS said...

You'll get no flack from this reader. It is a wise, wise person who can step back, assess what's happening in their life and take steps to remedy whatever the stresses may be. Keep on writing, Sue Ann - in whatever way and form is best for you. I'll keep listening and reading. :)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thank you, everyone, for your support!

Lexie said...

you have to care for yourself first. Good for you for knowing your boundary. We will stand by you as devoted fans now and forever.

nancycollector said...

I am a very new reader to Sue Ann Jaffarian's "Ghost of Granny Apples" series (a friend recommended them several months ago, but I didn't acquire copies until earlier this summer of the first four books.

Looking for something "different" aka "new to me" to read, I found the first book on a bookcase where it had been shelved with its mates and with similar books all having one theme in common: "these books represent the To Read piles."

Immediately, I was captivated by Emma Whitecastle and the ghost of Granny Apples! I truly enjoyed all aspects of this wonderful novel, and finished it in a few short hours. Of course, I didn't do anything else that day as chores and projects sat unaccomplished.

I also did something after I finished this book, and I rarely do this with most adult fiction, but I started the second books in this captivating series!

Like other fans, I am disappointed that this author has decided to cease writing the books at this time. However, I applaud her decision as she recognized that self-care must come first in her life! It's a wise decision and I look forward to exploring her other series.

And, bonus for me, I still have several "Ghost of Granny Apples" novels to savor! :-)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks for commenting, Nancy. But have no fear, there are still more Granny books to come before I put the series on hiatus for a bit. A novella will be released this December and a full novel will be released late next summer.

Crafty Damn Hero said...

I am going to miss Odelia :-( She is my favorite character! Thank you so much for bringing her to life!