Saturday, August 15, 2015

Cracked Me Up!

Last Saturday I did a phone interview as part of an article being written about pursing dreams while holding down an office job.  The interview went great and it was fun.

So this past week, the interviewer informed me that the company behind the article is cutting me from the piece, even though they told her they "LOVED" my part in it.


I'm glad you asked.

[Drum roll please]

Because one of my book covers shows the top of a woman's butt crack.

Yep, that's the reason. If I'm lying, I'm dying.

I'm was cut from the piece because the cover of RUNNING WILDE, the first novella in my Winnie Wilde romance series published under the pen name of Meg Chambers, shows the top of a woman's butt crack. (BTW, it's available now on Amazon. Sorry, couldn't resist the shameless plug.)

And guess what? RUNNING WILDE wasn't even mentioned in the article. Apparently their legal team, in vetting the article, looked up my books and took issue with this one cover.

Kim Kardashian shows her ass crack EVERYWHERE and makes millions. I have one on a book cover and get censored from a small article. What a world!

Or, more to the point, what is wrong with this world?

You can't walk down the street without seeing butt cracks on teens with sagging pants. You can't hire a plumber without being in danger of being flashed. Some are prettier than others. Some are funny. Some ridiculous. A slight butt crack is innocent and anyone thinking otherwise is really uptight. I don't think this cover is any more scandalous than a Victoria Secret commercial, or the nudity you see on TV.  If I had written a romance book with a half naked man in a dangerously low-slung kilt on the cover,would they have also taken issue?

On my next Winnie Wilde novella, WILDE WOMEN, which will be released this fall, there is a pair of nude legs. No butt crack, but the cover is still sexually provocative. It's supposed to be. It's an adult steamy romance novella. And I stand by both covers 150%.

Am I angry over being cut from this piece? No, not at all. Really. I'm just shocked and a bit surprised, especially since the article had nothing to do with that book and I have over 20 other covers displaying not a single butt crack. If that company found  my innocent cover as crossing the line, then I'm not for them or them for me. Not because of this cover, but because I prefer being associated with more open-minded people.

Ass cracks, we all have them. And, sigh, sometimes they're not even on our bottom but in the middle of our face.

1 comment:

Barbie Chiu said...

Good day! I found your site very interesting and informative . Thanks for taking time sharing it with us. I really enjoyed reading your post.