Thursday, July 09, 2015

Rich People, Knock It The #$&@ Off!

Yep, it's me again. The fat old gray-haired woman shaking her fist and yelling GET OFF MY LAWN!

I really despise shows that  celebrate stupidity, blatant disrespect for others, social cluelessness, and greed.

I used to watch the Bravo channel, then they started pandering to tasteless celebrity reality shows and I stopped watching, except for Top Chef. Years ago I tagged Bravo with the nickname the "rich people behaving badly" channel. I still feel that way.

Don't get me wrong. I love reality shows, especially competition ones like Top Chef, Chopped, The Amazing Race, America's Got Talent, Project Runway, and even the granddaddy of them all, Survivor. And then there's my all-time fav, American Ninja Warrior.  I do not watch any of the Bachelor or Bachelorette franchises. And I'd take a bat to my TV before watching Big Brother, Duck Dynasty, or the now defunct Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

So what got me on this rant?

Was it Donald Trump beating his gums about rapists and illegal criminals? No.

Was it the government-buying mechanics of the Koch brothers or Sheldon Adelson? No.

Last night and this morning on the news were two stories that sent me over the edge:

Actor Tom Selleck allegedly stealing water for his avocado trees in drought-stricken California and Ariana Grande licking donuts and claiming she hates America and Americans. 

There's also the allegations against Bill Cosby of rape and using drugs for rape, but that's in a league of its own. That's a very heinous crime and, if true, Cosby, a favorite of mine since childhood, needs to be brought down for it, and brought down hard.

So let's get back to Tom and Ariana ... the new kids in my on-going rich-people-behaving-badly rant.

May I call you Tom and Ariana? Seems fitting since you've been in my living room so much lately.

So, Tom, let's begin with you.  Like you, I live in Southern California. In fact, I live approximately 40 miles from your ranch in Hidden Valley.  However, in steps to help reduce water usage, the water pressure in my shower has been reduced to a trickle. I don't run my water when brushing my teeth. I don't do my dishes or laundry unless I have a full load. I don't even flush my toilet when I only pee. Something tells me you and your family are not being held to such strict water measures.

STEALING water in a drought is serious business, Tom! But stealing it for your personal avocado trees while California farmers, who feed us all, are undergoing rationing and are worried about their commercial crops, is really rotten and selfish. A lot of people, including many of California's rich and famous, have taken out or reduced their lawns, replacing them with low-water vegetation, in a move to help with the drought. Then again, a lot of them, like you, Tom, are thumbing their noses at the rest of us because you can afford to pay the fines and penalties.

Here is a link to some of the most wasteful celebrity landscapes in So. Cal, and a few that are taking steps to minimize their water usage. Is it any surprise that a couple of the Kardashians made the wasteful list? Wasteful celebrities.

Water isn't like getting the best seats at a sold-out concert, or a private table at an over-booked restaurant. We all use and need water. When you steal, Tom, you steal from ALL OF US. Or let me put it in terms you might better understand: you steal from your fans, the people who have the power to turn off their TVs and drop your ratings. But, then again, I'm being silly. You probably have enough money that you'd even thumb your nose at that.

Ariana. Ariana. Ariana. Girl, what are we going to do with you? I realize you're only 22 years old. And I realize that you are rich, spoiled and obviously selfish, but it's time to grow up, baby girl.  You were born in Boca Raton, Florida. You are an American, born in America. Or didn't your parents tell you that?  Americans made you famous. And the American public can take that away from you. Or hasn't your manager told you that?  Don't throw stones at the people who pay for your designer clothes and private jets. Don't become the next Justin Bieber joke. Pace yourself or you'll be washed up and a nobody by the time you're 30. I understand that being a pop star is hard work, so throw yourself into your work and build a lasting career, not a flash-in-the pan one.

As for the donut licking, well that's just plain bad manners and disgusting, and again, a blatant display of disrespect for others. Your family must have been so proud watching that video on the evening news. The next time you get the urge to lick or spit on commercial food, how about buying it all instead and giving it to the homeless? That would benefit both the owners of the donut shop and people in need, and might get you some good press instead of negative press.

Being rich and famous doesn't give anyone the right to ignore others or to step on the rights of others, or to make stupid public comments, or to behave badly without consequences. If anything, it brings greater responsibility. It's almost as if money and fame plugs people's ears, covers their eyes, and dulls social sensibilities.

So to all you rich, self-centered, and even criminally bent one-percenters, GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWN!

Oh, that's right. I don't have a lawn.

2 comments:

Vikki said...

The Tom Selleck situation reminds me of Virginia Sorensen's personal essay *Where Nothing Is Long Ago* about water stealing, which was tantamount to horse stealing in the Wild West. When one neighbor in this Mormon community in the '40s (I think) killed another one who was stealing water, the community was behind the citizen who had done the killing. Not that I am advocating vigilante justice against Mr. Selleck, but he should suffer the *fullest extent of the laws* he has violated.

Mark Baker said...

I actually heard about both of these stories tonight for the first time, and I was so disappointed. Ok, I wasn't that shocked by the singer. It seems to go with the young and thoughtless crowd. Upset, yes, but not shocked. But Tom Selleck? I really did expect better from him.