Wednesday, June 03, 2015

In Search Of A Theme Song

Every time I turn a novel or novella into one of my publishers, I post the video of Queen performing Another One Bites The Dust.  Today was one of those days. I turned in THE GHOST OF MISTLETOE MARY, my 3rd Ghost of Granny Apples e-novella due out this holiday season from Penguin.



I can't remember when I started posting this video to mark the finish of books, but it's been going on for several years.

First of all, I love the music of Queen and I happen to like this song. I've been in a hamster wheel of book production for about ten years now and every time I finish a novel, I can cross that contract off as fulfilled and move on to the next book, so the song, Another One Bites The Dust, seemed appropriate.

The few times though, I wondered if maybe I was sending the wrong message by using this song. It almost sounds as if I'm checking chores off of a To Do List.

Laundry done - check
Bathroom cleaned - check
Legs shaved - check

Another chore bites the dust...

See what I mean?

Trust me, I think a lot more highly of my writing than I do of shaving my legs. If you don't believe me, just check for yourself the next time you see me in person.

Then again, maybe I should be seeing Another One Bites The Dust as the signal of another piece of fiction being added to my growing body of work. Kind of like adding another candle to a cake to signal the advance of age.

When I was a kid, Sheriff John would sing Put Another Candle On My Birthday Cake. Maybe my new end of book song should be that tune but with the words:

Put another book in my bibliography... 
I finished another today!

 
Of course, there's always the old time favorite 99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall. But instead of taking away the bottles, you add books.
 
19 manuscripts are done, 19 manuscripts;
Send one on and start another
20 manuscripts are done!
 
 
 
Okay. Okay. It needs work.

So for now Queen will have to do the job.

No comments: