Monday, May 04, 2015

I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghosts!

I haven't posted much lately because I've been recovering from gall bladder surgery, fighting nasty hives, and am on yet another DEADLINE! Or two.

Yeah, I know, so what else is new? Right?

So my head is down and my fingers are flying along on two Ghost of Granny Apples adventures. The first one is a novella titled THE GHOST OF MISTLETOE MARY featuring Jeremiah Jones, a P.I. and former Viet Nam Vet and LAPD detective introduced in THE GHOST IN THE GUACAMOLE. I loved this character when he came to life in Guacamole. Like most interesting characters, he was only supposed to be a minor player, but the quiet boldness of his personality won over not just me, but Emma, Phil and Granny, and everyone wanted him back. Look for Jeremiah in future books, but I'm not telling which ones.

THE GHOST OF MISTLETOE MARY is a story I've had in the back of my head for a long time, and originally thought of it as a plot for an Odelia Grey novel. But as soon as Jeremiah made his presence known, I knew it was his story. It's the tale of a missing prostitute in Skid Row Los Angeles who Jeremiah is asked to find. This is due to my publisher by the end of May and will be released as an e-book novella from Penguin in time for the 2015 holidays.

Also in the works is THE GHOSTS OF MISTY HOLLOW, the 6th Ghost of Granny Apples novel. That is due to Penguin by the end of July, so I'm also buzzing along on it. In Misty Hollow, Emma and Phil visit Gino Costello, the famous crime novelist and father of Tanisha Costello, Kelly Whitecastle's best friend, in rural Massachusetts. There they are asked by an entire clan of spirits to help find out what happened to two of the family's children who went missing near the end of the 1800's.

Every time I turn in a new Granny Apples book, I laugh remembering how this series wasn't even on my radar. It came about purely by accident during a chat with a former editor. In my mind, it was just a simple short story. Then I thought maybe just a short series - 3 books tops. With the publication of these two new works, the Ghost of Granny Apples series will swell to 6 novels and 3 novellas. And who knows what more will come? I do have ideas for two more novels.

I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoy writing these paranormal books. It's especially odd since I have read very few paranormal novels. I still don't read them very often. Mostly because I don't want someone else's voice to seep into my soft brain and taint my own voice and ideas.

See you on the other side ... 
of the Deadline, that is!


Suzy Bear said...

I so love Granny, as well as her living relatives (And don't forget the dogs!) and can't wait to see what she's been up to. See all of you soon!

ProudPriusOwner said...

I do love the Granny Apple mysteries. They are funny and help me to escape safely. I don't have nightmares about them.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

So glad you folks love Granny. So do I!