Saturday, January 17, 2015

Kick Me! Please!

A few days ago, I set up a Kickstarter Campaign to help defray some of the costs in self-publishing my new Winnie Wilde erotic romance series under the pen name of Meg Chambers.  I didn't set a large goal, just $1,000, which will cover the bare bones of self-publishing RUNNING WILDE, my first Winnie Wilde novella.

As of the writing of this blog, the campaign is 80% funded - in just a couple of days! And I have no doubt that the project will fund completely over the next week or so of the campaign.


If you're not familiar with Kickstarter, it's a crowd funding website that helps people with projects fund them and turn them into reality. Several of my writing colleagues have used it successfully.

Generally, when you pledge to a Kickstarter campaign you receive rewards when the project is completed. In my case, it involves receiving copies of RUNNING WILDE and even the next book, WILDE WOMEN. The largest reward is having your name or any name you choose in one of the Winnie Wilde books. That reward level has been very popular!  If a donor does not want a reward, they can opt out and still pledge - and a few have done that.  It has been quite fun and exciting to watch.

Just because I'm close to my funding goal, it doesn't mean the campaign is done. Any funds over the initial $1,000 will go to other publishing expenses and toward the next book or books in the series.

It's not to late to be a part of this exciting new adventure. To pledge, GO HERE!

So where does the money go... glad you asked.

As anyone who has ever self-published a book professionally knows, it costs money.  I'm not talking about slapping a manuscript together and throwing it up on Amazon, as so many novice writers have done, thereby flooding the market with really bad books, but taking the time and going through the process to do it professionally, as any traditional publisher would.

Step 1 - Write a good book.  RUNNING WILDE my first Winnie Wilde novella has been written and read by a small arm of Beta or sample readers who I trust to critique it with eagle eyes.

Step 2 - Do final edits. This is currently in process, but is taking a back seat to a book I have under contract with a looming deadline.

Step 3 - Order professional cover. Done and I couldn't be happier with it. Everyone has "oohed" and "ahhhed" over the cover designed by Kim Killion of the Killion Group for RUNNING WILDE.

Step 4 - Have book professionally edited, proofed and formatted. This will probably be done by the end of February or early March and costs the most money.

Step 5 - Launch book on online retailer. This will be sometime in early April.

Step 6 - Market the hell out of it and hold breath. Expect RUNNING WILDE to be released by mid April.

Steps 3, 4 and 6 takes funding, especially steps 3 and 4.

Again, thank you to all who have supported me and Winnie.

Game On! 
Because I didn't come to play. 
I came to win.

No comments: