Thursday, December 11, 2014

Short on Pages, Long on Fun!

As a kid, I loved reading short stories. Whenever I'm asked about my favorite short stories, two immediately pop into my mind: The Ransom of Red Chief by O. Henry and The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. No matter how many years have passed since I've read them, they stay with me - one for its humor, the other for its creepiness.

Other unforgettable favorites:

The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

I still read short stories and there are a lot of good ones out there, both in anthologies and as individual shorts for e-readers.

One of the things I promised myself when I returned from Bouchercon last month was to finish two short stories I'd started. They are very different, yet both contain humor. One is more slapstick, the other subtle and sly. Both take place in the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is why I wanted to finish and release them now.

Years ago I wrote a short story called Ho Ho Homicide featuring the amateur sleuth from my Odelia Grey mystery series.  With the rights to that story returned to me, I decided to independently publish it on Amazon, like I'd done with several other short stories. But since many of my readers had already read it, I turned it into a two-fer. coupling Ho Ho Homicide with a new short story, Ho Ho Hell.  Both short stories take place in the frenzy and hysteria of Christmas shopping at the same mall but several years apart.  The two stories were released together under the title Ho Ho Humbug and so far the reviews have been great!

Many, many years ago, I wrote a short story titled Early Retirement for submission to an anthology. My short story was not chosen so I tucked it away and forgot about it. This past month I took it out, dusted it off, and gave it a much-needed overhaul. It was released yesterday.  And I must say, I'm very glad that short story was not chosen for the anthology. It was a wreck and now with many years of writing under my belt, I was able to give it the attention it needed to become a very good story.

Ho Ho Humbug and Early Retirement are both digital only and can be found on Amazon for the short price of 99 Cents!

Buy HO HO HUMBUG here.


And check out my other short stories on Amazon.

I have another short story started with a working title of Something to Kill For, but that will be shelved for a while due to having a full-length novel and a novella both due to a publisher in mid-spring. Also in the works is a new series of e-book romance novellas scheduled for late summer, early fall.  So stay tuned!

No comments: