Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Got Rubbers?

Last night I watched Sunday night's CSI and it really disturbed me. It was the episode called "Rubbery Homicide."

If you didn't catch it, it was about men who bought and wore head to toe rubber doll suits. 

Yeah, you heard me.

Curious, I Googled that today and sure enough, it's a thing. The suits are quite expensive and incredibly life-like and there is a whole sub-culture built around it. (Not that I didn't believe you, CSI!)  Like I said, this really disturbed me, as in gave me the willies like an army of ants were stampeding my body. Here's an interesting article about some people that makes the suits.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of gal. Always have been. Transgender - no problem! Transvestite - who cares! Drag queen - start the show! Living in Los Angeles, I've seen it all. Or so I thought. We all have our secrets, our weird little fetishes, and fantasies.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

So why did the idea of men wearing rubber doll suits freak me out?

It was the masks.

It's all cool if a man wants to put on heels and Spanx and too much make-up and go out in public. Knock yourself out.  Just because it's not my thing and I AM a woman, doesn't mean it bothers me.  Same goes for women who buzz cut their hair and dress in men's wear. It's an expression of who they are.

But those masks really bothered me.

It didn't just strike me as creepy, but tragically sad. Voluntarily hiding your face like that is such a denial of who you are as a person. I can't say that these men don't like themselves, because I don't know them, but clearly they are not happy with the way they look as nature made them.

When wearing these suits, do they see themselves as women or as rubber doll fantasies? I'd love to know, because no woman I know, organic or transgender, looks like these dolls.

Equally disturbing was finding out that there are a whole lot of men who want to have sex with these rubber dolls. Not with the men in the suits, but with the dolls they become when wearing the suits. I found that even creepier.

Ok. Ok. It's their thing and they're not hurting anyone. And who knows, I might even know a few men who are dressing this way secretly. I'm just stunned, especially since I can barely put on panty hose.

And, NO, you will not be finding this as a plot topic in one of my books. Trust me on this. I've already done a book with drag queens and transgender individuals (TWICE AS DEAD) and that was fun ... except for the people I bumped off in the book.

3 comments:

Denise Sunderman said...

I felt the same way, the masks creeped me out! To each his or her own, but covering their faces was too much.

Alisa said...

I haven't watched CSI in years but there was an episode about Furries that creeped me out a bit.

Sweet Sticky Rainbow said...

If the rubbers creeped you out what did you think of the furries? There was a real life thing that happened recently where someone tried to gas a group of furries.

I am more creeped out about the notion of a doll that is alive.

If guys want to meet other guys but want or need rubber or fur to act as an intermediary I say more power to them. Less competition for those of use who prefer flesh and blood female companions!