Friday, October 31, 2014

I'm Ready For My Close Up

I live in Los Angeles, specifically the west side of the city. I work in Century City, which isn't a city at all, but a business district on the west side squeezed between Beverly Hills and Fox Studios.  My apartment is smack between Fox Studios to the north and Sony Studios to the south. It's not uncommon to find my route to work strewn with Star Wagons, equipment trucks and catering vehicles, all sure signs of a film shoot in progress.

When you live in LA you get used to seeing film crews in the streets. Even when you're driving, sometimes you will spot a slow moving truck complete with lights and cameras, filming the car attached behind it.

It's both fun and a nuisance, especially when you're in a rush and traffic is snarled by either the filming and/or the lookie-loos.

For the better part of this week the top of our office parking structure has been used to film an Estee Lauder commercial. It has made getting in and out of the structure difficult for those of us who need to park there. An e-mail just went out notifying us that our office building will be used to film an action scene (complete with helicopter and shootout)  for NCIS: LA, one of my favorite shows. 

According to the e-mail, the filming will be all next week and will involve our main lobby rotunda, a helicopter landing on the roof, simulated gunfire, and a glass window shattering on the 16th floor of the tower right next to the one I'm sitting in on the 17th floor.

Gunfire. Helicopters. Smashed windows.

Sounds like a routine day in LA, or at least a routine day in LA as imagined by the rest of the country. We're actually pretty tame considering how many people live in LA (almost 4 million on about 500 square miles).

I wonder if I could request Sam Hanna (played by the yummy LL Cool J) to swing by my office window during the helicopter landing? It would certainly jazz up an otherwise dull day at the office, just in case the gunfire doesn't do the trick.

1 comment:

Catsongea said...

Sounds Exciting to me! See if you can get a selfie with one of them. I live a few kilometers from Weta studios (lord of the rings, hobit movies) but have never seen anything :) .