Sunday, October 12, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - So Close I Can Smell It

9 days. That's all the time I have left until my extended deadline is up. But I'm not worried. The book is almost done. So done I can almost smell the finish.  Seriously, as I write this I have maybe 20-25 pages left. Then I'll do one final deep edit and it's done! YAY!

What then? A vacation? A shopping excursion? Lose myself in a bubble bath and a bottle of champagne? All are good ideas, but right now the plan is to take the rest of October off from writing and clean out a closet that has been waiting for my attention for a very long time, get more exercise and catch up with all the shows on my DVR and, most importantly, catch up with friends - my very understanding friends. Okay, and maybe a full body massage.

But I digress, losing myself in the treats ahead instead of plowing on toward the finish. It's easy to do so close to the end. It's easy to lose focus and meander, thinking you have all the time in the world, that the final push will be easy-peasy. But it's not.

Tip of the Day
Keep your focus until the fat lady sings.

Those final chapters tie up the entire book. If they're sloppy and phoned in, either because you're exhausted, sick of the book, or ready to par-tay, it leaves your readers with a bad, unsatisfying taste.  Like biting into a fine chocolate and finding it's filled with okra instead of a rich ganache.

And even if that's not your intent, it can happen. Push toward the finish like a spent marathoner trying to beat the clock, not like you're on a Sunday drive after church. Writing a book is a marathon. It's not a sprint.

I'm keeping this blog short because, guess what, I'm near the finish and determined to get across that line!

No comments: