Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - Just Go To Bed!

I am just PAGES from finishing my current WIP. PAGES... I tell you!

For the past several nights I've been burning the midnight oil, in spite of needing to get up and go to work the next day. I have the entire rest of the book all laid out in my head. I just need to get it on the page.

The spirit's willing, but the flesh is weak.

Last night I was determined to get the words on the page, or at least finish the scene I was working on, but I was starting to nod off with my fingers still on the keyboard. I kid you not. This has happened before. In fact, it happens at the end of every book. I try to push forward even though my brain is fried.
Tip of the Day
When you're exhausted, go to bed.
Because tired writing is crap writing.

This is so true. If your brain is too tired to keep moving, pack it up and get some sleep because you're just going to have to heavily edit or even delete what you put on the page at this point. Coffee may help keep you awake, but it will not sharpen your brain.

Sleep is not underrated. I repeat, sleep is not underrated.

This is why I schedule most of my writing early in the morning when my gray matter is fresh and revived. Instead of burning the midnight oil, try going to bed and setting the alarm to get up earlier. It's amazing how much more I can get accomplished doing this.  The words that were playing hide and seek the night before will usually come out of hiding in the daylight.

That doesn't mean you should use sleep as an escape from your deadline. But when it's getting to be past  twelve at night and you're fighting to find those elusive words, consider that it might be time for a long power nap.

I have just over a week to get this book done, and barring death or a major disaster,  it will be done, including the editing. 

By the way, the 10th Odelia Grey novel is no longer titled Junk in the Trunk. As of yesterday, it became A BODY TO SPARE. 

1 comment:

Mark Baker said...

I liked that first title, but I love the new one!