Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - In the Zone

Not wanting to squander my editor's generous gift of a three week extension, I've been diligently marching toward the finish of JUNK IN THE TRUNK, which is due in 15 days.  And I'm close... very, very close to the finish. So close I can smell it like an vacation ocean breeze. In fact, I'll probably have the book done by this weekend and then take the last week of my extension to do a final tight edit.

This past weekend I locked myself up in my apartment and worked on the manuscript. I had planned on getting the car washed, a pedicure and buying some groceries. Instead, the car never moved and I didn't even take the chain lock off the front door to go out and empty trash. 

I was in THE ZONE.

All you writers out there know what I'm talking about.


That bittersweet place where writers go where nothing else exists or matters but the words in front of them. It's a perfect place where sentences flow like Niagara Falls, characters fall in line like children following the Pied Piper, and page after page of manuscript comes to life.
Tip of the Day:
You don't screw with THE ZONE.
It's magical and can disappear in an instant.

I had things to do this weekend. One thing was even important, but could be rescheduled, which it was. You see, I make it a rule never to mess with THE ZONE unless absolutely necessary. I've cancelled dates and sent my regrets at the last minute for parties when I've found myself in THE ZONE. 

THE ZONE trumps all.

At least most of the time. There are times when some commitments must take precedent, like book events on the calendar, medical emergencies, day jobs, and your significant other's birthday. But most can wait until the creative fog clears.  Loved ones need to be educated on THE ZONE if they aren't already. My close friends know and understand about it. My last boyfriend understood when I cancelled dates. The one before that, not so much. He didn't last long.

THE ZONE is also fickle. You'll never know when it will hit or how long it will last, and you can't conjure it up like Beetlejuice. It also doesn't confine itself to deadlines. THE ZONE can honor you with its presence at any time. I wrote almost all of THE CURSE OF THE HOLY PAIL under the influence of THE ZONE.  It was like stars shooting from my fingers every time I touched the keyboard.

I was still in THE ZONE when I had to go to work yesterday morning. And I was in THE ZONE for most of this morning.  I hope it comes back again tonight or tomorrow, even though the book is almost done. THE ZONE is like heroin or good chocolate. Once you get a taste for it, you'll long and whimper for it over and over. It turns a normal writer into a zombie lusting for brains.

Repeat after me: 


No comments: