Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - The End Is Just The Beginning

Yesterday afternoon I turned the manuscript for A BODY TO SPARE into my publisher. This is the 19th completed novel under contract that I have finished. The 21st if you count the two books still unpublished that I've completed.

So what now? I will tell you with confidence that I am not going to Disneyland. Not that a trip to the Magic Kingdom wouldn't be fun and it is fairly close to where I live, but I have other plans.

I am going to take the rest of October off from writing.  I'm sure my muse has other ideas, but I might have to beat her into submission on this. My brain is tired.

First, I'll clean my home top to bottom. I do this after I finish every book. It's like sweeping out the old and preparing for the new.

Clean out the closet that has been waiting for my attention for almost 2 years.

Sort, file and throw away all the mail piled up on the dining table.

Launch HELL ON WHEELS, the 9th Odelia Grey novel due to be released the first of November.

Get ready for Bouchercon, which is coming up very fast in November.

And after that?

Well, starting November 1st, it will be time to saddle up and ride toward the next deadline.

I have three books due to two different publishers in the next 12 months. 

Yeah, you read that right - three.

The 6th Granny Apples book is due mid-March. The 3rd Granny Apples novella is due in April and the next Odelia Grey novel is due next October.

I'm going to be one busy puppy.

144 days until the next deadline.



1 comment:

Mark Baker said...

A book and a novella due so close together? Yikes! But if anyone can do it, you can.

And congrats on finishing this one. You know I can't wait to read it!