Monday, September 29, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - Make It Work Time

I have 7 days left until my deadline for Odelia book #10. 7 days. One week.

It was going well until this weekend. At the end of last week, while I was doing my usual U-turn edit of the book, a new character popped up on my radar. I could have ignored him but he was just too much fun and did enhance the story. So I went back and introduced him into the plot line. That used up a lot of time and now he's not cooperating. At least he's not cooperating with my story line for him.

So, do I force the issue and make him do what I want or do I let him do what he wants and see where it takes me.  Normally, I would choose the latter but with only one week left, it's a tough call. And I can't take time off from my day job to bury myself in my manuscript until it's done because we're super busy right now at the office.
What to do? What to do?

I know what I'm going to do. What I always do. I'm going to let the character take me where he wants, because that will be the better book.  And if I get near the end of the week and it's not looking good to finish on time, I will humbly ask for a short extension. I won't need much. The book is going well otherwise.

I worked all weekend on this manuscript and I'd love to work on it again all day today, but that's not an option. So I will continue to plow ahead mornings and evenings and lunchtimes on it.

It happens every damn time. 

And every time I say I will get the next book in ahead of schedule.

And every damn time I find myself on the ropes.

The thing is, as a writer, I don't think I'm alone on this.

Am I?

Tip of the Day:
Even in panic mode, keep your head.
A clear head will get you to the finish every time.
Panic mode will only give you hives and breeds self doubt. Trust me, I know. So even when you're pressed for time, take a deep breath. Do a few minutes of  yoga, go for a short walk, get on your exercise bike, or scrub a floor. I find a few minutes of something physical helps to clear my head and push back the panic of the looming deadline. 

  • Do not drink alcohol
  • Do not eat a bag of doughnuts
  • Do not watch the NCIS marathon on TV
  • Do not curl up into the fetal position

Put on your big girl panties (or big boy pants)
and deal with it.

That's what I'm doing. It's what I do every time.

No comments: