Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Diary of a Deadline - 33 Days

I did not sleep well last night. It's hotter than hell in my apartment and I don't have AC, just some mega fans. I woke up with a headache just after 5 and by 6 was writing armed with a mug of coffee and some Advil. No time to be wussy, I have a deadline to meet in 33 days.

I belong to a private healthy eating and exercise group on Facebook and our September challenge is to walk, bike, run or crawl 50 miles this month. No big deal. That breaks down to 1.666 miles a day. Today is the 3rd day of the month and I'm just getting started, so I'm a little behind but I'll catch up. I'm actually looking to hit at least 75 miles this month. I wear a Fit Bit One most days anyway, so now I'll make sure I get in enough steps to meet my mileage for the month and then some. It's easy to forget but the challenge will help me remember.

But you have a deadline to hit. This is no time to focus on exercise.

Oh yes it is!

Tip of the Day:
Make sure you get some exercise almost every day
while you are working on a tight deadline.

I hate exercise. There, I said it.  But I make it a point to get up from the computer at least once every 60-90 minutes, even at the office. It's not healthy for anyone to sit for hours in front of a computer. It's bad for your circulation, your focus, your eyes. Your attitude. It's bad for everything! Even for your WIP.

A little movement can greatly improve your focus and clarity, even if you take a break to clean your bathroom. On weekends, I often alternate between writing and household chores. 15-20 minutes with a sponge or vacuum can do wonders for clearing out the mental cobwebs or getting over blocks in your story. So can strapping on some sneakers and taking a walk or getting on an exercise bike or doing a yoga video.  One of my favorite breaks during a long writing session is a short stretching video set to snappy music. It not only perks me up but also loosens the tight muscles in my neck, arms and shoulders. Periodically roll and stretch those muscles. Keep them loose or you'll be whimpering in pain by the time you send in that manuscript.

It's also easy when you're on deadline to slip into the habit of eating lots of take out and junk food. Try not to do it. A logy body is a logy mind. Sure all that sugar will hype you up, but it will also bring you crashing down in a lifeless, brainless heap. And heavy food can make you sleepy. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Eat healthy. Drink lots of water. And coffee. Gotta have coffee. You're an engine chugging up a steep hill, fuel yourself properly.

It's 9:30 pm. Usually I'm watching TV about now, but instead I'm plugging away at my WIP.  I have to be to work earlier than usual tomorrow and won't get in my usual writing time. But that's another topic for another post.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

This new Leslie Sansone dvd has a 10 minute no sweat walk and she even says "it's perfect for when you've sat too long at the desk and need to get the blood flowing and refocus". LOL

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Wow! And you have a job too. Amazing.

Kathy Bennett said...

A good reminder. I get in front of my computer and sometimes spend four or five hours. I don't' know where the time goes.