Friday, June 20, 2014

Celebrating Underdog Determination

Two of my favorite summer time TV shows are American Ninja Warrior and America's Got Talent.

I love both of these shows because they celebrate the underdog, the ordinary person being extraordinary, the gifted and dedicated without the hype and taint of  high priced endorsements and celebrity scandal.

Whether the men and women contestants in these shows are scaling a warped wall or performing for the first time in front of millions, they are following their dreams with a fierce dedication that should light sparks in all of us.


This summer, for the first time ever, a woman scaled the warped wall on American Ninja Warrior. It was done by 5' tall Kacy Catanzaro. Breaking the warped wall ceiling, she was followed up the curved monster by Michelle Warnky. Before the end of this season, maybe we'll see more women hitting the buzzer at the top!

As corny as it sounds, during Catanzaro's run I was in my living room, on my feet clapping and cheering with tears in my eyes. YES!!!

I'm not against professional sports. Not at all.  But I just can't get worked up and excited about them like I can American Ninja Warrior.

Most of these men and women, like the performers on America's Got Talent, hold down day jobs and have families and commitments. They pursue their dreams in time carved out by the determination to succeed against all odds.

Sound familiar? Yep. It's exactly what most authors do each and every day. We carve out time snatched from between jobs and commitments to follow our dream to write, even though we realize the odds are against us.

I'm considered a "successful author," but I still cannot support myself with the money I make from my books. And by "support" I mean pay 100% for my rent, food, clothing, utilities, health care, etc. from the proceeds of my books. A lot of writers will say they support themselves with their writing, but truth be told very few of them do. They may write full time, but if you stripped away the help these folks get from supportive spouses and others, they would never be able to live the lifestyle to which they are accustomed. It's a harsh reality, but a reality just the same.

Yeah, that's why I love these shows. Because they celebrate what I believe and do myself.

I may never scale the warped wall of publishing, but I'm never going to stop trying.

1 comment:

Mark Baker said...

I was rooting for Kacy to make it up that wall as well. I've really come to like her over the last couple of seasons. And I'm wondering how much of Michelle making it up the wall was the mental boost knowing a woman had done it. Either way, amazing achievement to both of them. With my sense of balance (or lack there of), I don't think I'd make it past the first couple of obstacles.