Saturday, March 08, 2014

Progress For All

Today, March 8th, is International Women's Day. 

Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations had this to say:

"Countries with more gender equality have better economic growth. Companies with more women leaders perform better. Peace agreements that include women are more durable. Parliaments with more women enact more legislation on key social issues such as health, education, anti-discrimination and child support. The evidence is clear: equality for women means progress for all."
Progress for all ... hmmmm ... for ALL ...

But wait!

Did you know that the entire month of March is National Women's Month?  It's true! An entire month in which we honor women who have contributed to our world and encourage all women to continue making strides to enhance life at all levels, locally and on the world stage.

Every year a theme is chosen. This year the theme is:  Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment. Here are the honorees:

Please take a few minutes and read the bios of these amazing trailblazers on the National Women's History Project website.

But you're just an ordinary woman, you say? 
What can you do, you ask?

Although none are famous in the traditional sense, I have the honor and privilege of working with an amazing group of talented and intelligent women at Hooper, Lundy & Bookman, the law firm where I work as a paralegal. Downright amazing, I tell ya!  Some are mothers, some are mentors, many do pro bono work. Each are contributing to progress and I'm so proud to work with them.

I hope in a small way I contribute to progress through my novels.  Are they or will they ever be Pulitzer Prize nominees?  No.  But each time someone writes and tells me that I've brought fun and joy into their life by entertaining them for a few hours, I know that I'm doing my job and making the world a little bit better place for some people.

When I look at the paintings on the walls of my apartment or read books, those people are bringing me joy and knowledge. I give. They give. We all benefit. It's the circle of progress on a small scale but it's still progress and contribution.

We all know the saying:  Bloom where you're planted.  Well, no matter where you are or what you are doing, whether it be running a company, raising children, assisting the ill or elderly, or even serving food through a drive-thru window, bloom, dammit! Because each one of us is an important piece of the Progress Puzzle.

No comments: