Sunday, March 02, 2014

A Tale of Two Chin Hos

First off, I should NOT be writing this blog. Really, I shouldn't.  I have laundry to do and a cat box to clean and a vacuum to push around.  More importantly, I have a book to finish in the next 4-5 weeks.

Secondly, despite the tile of this blog post, it isn't about aging hookers with double chins. Really, it's not.
The original Chin Ho

Today while having lunch I watched Hawaii Five-0 and, not for the first time, was struck by how much I enjoy the remake of this popular show from the 1960s and 1970s.  That's not usually the case. Usually, I deplore remakes of iconic shows and films. But I like the modern Hawaii Five-0 as much as I did the original when I was young.

I really enjoy the modern cast and how they have added a female cop, the tough and lovely Kono played by Grace Park. And I've enjoyed how they've brought in notable guest stars.  I've especially enjoyed Carol Burnett as McGarrett's aunt, Ed Asner as August March, and most recently Melanie Griffith who played Danno's mother fresh from a split with her husband.

The new Chin Ho
But I have to tell ya, as much as I enjoyed Kam Fong's portrayal of Chin Ho on the original Hawaii Five-O, he never made my heart pitter-pat the way the new and improved Chin Ho played by Daniel Dae Kim does.  Kim has to be one of the most beautiful men on TV - hands down!  And least in this old lady's opinion.  YUM!

It's raining right now here in Los Angeles and it's rather gray and dreary out.  I still have chores to do and a book to finish, but for a brief moment today I was transported to the warm and sunny shores of the islands and got to soak in some Hawaii 5-0 beefcake.

That said, I really do have to get moving on my manuscript. I don't think my editor is going to buy mooning over Chin Ho as an excuse if it isn't done on time.  Or will she????

No comments: