Sunday, January 19, 2014

Meet George, My New Man!

I have a new man in my life. His name is George. He's demanding but encouraging and always has my best interests at heart - literally, my heart.

He's the strong silent type and I'm smitten.

My man George

George is a FitBit One, an exercise tracker I bought with gift cards I received over the holidays.  Don't ask me why I named him George. It's not very sexy, I know.  I tried out Sven, Paolo, Dirk and Rock and nothing felt right. Only George. So George it is. Maybe it's a throwback to George Harrison being my favorite Beatle.

Anywhoooo....

George has been my constant companion for 5 days now and it's shaping up to be a solid relationship. He's quite the task master. It's like having a personal trainer clipped to you 24/7. Near the end of the day he'll announce via the unit or via a flash on my cell phone that I still have ### steps to take to complete my goal for the day. So far I've listened, gotten off my fat ass and marched in place until my daily steps have been completed. I march at home in front of the TV, in place while brushing my teeth and while cooking. At work I march in my office before and after lunch. Pleasing George is my main objective. Seeing the steps add up and calories burned has become my obsession. I'm also putting in time exercising other than stepping, adding to the calories burned. I haven't moved this much since I did the Disney 5K last January, and the stepping doesn't seem to be bothering my bum knee.  It's a win-win.

When I meet my daily goal of exercise and calories burned vs. calories eaten, George sends me an encouraging note across his marquee.  In five days I've lost 5.6 lbs, although I know that rate will slow down once my body gets used to the program. I do allow myself to cheat on George once a week just to keep the relationship interesting. Yesterday was my "cheat day" and I had brunch with friends with no thought to George's calorie tally.  He didn't seem to mind, although I didn't get my cheer at the end of the day.

I wish all men were this easy to live with ...







3 comments:

Karen said...

I have a FitBit zip and I love it! It's even survived going through the wash.

Christopher Hudson said...

Now that a few more weeks have gone by, how is your relationship with George going?
Still smitten? Or is he on the 'outs'? Outstayed his welcome?
I ask because I have been considering getting one.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Chris, it's going great. George is my constant companion except in the shower. Some days I don't quite make my exercise/step goals, but mostly I do or shoot past them. I think the FitBit makes me more aware of how much/little I move.