Friday, January 24, 2014

A Synopsis of My Weekend

Faith, my editor at Berkley, dropped me an e-mail this week asking for a short synopsis on Ghost in the Guacamole, the 5th novel in my Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series. She needs the synopsis by Monday. Sure, I tell her. No problem!

Um, actually there's a problem. You see, I don't have a synopsis yet. Which means over the weekend I'll be madly dashing to put together a fairly cohesive synopsis on a book that is far far far from being done.  Oh, by the way, the manuscript for Ghost in the Guacamole is due the first week in April. (Yeah, I know. Trust me, I know.) 

It's no secret to those who know me well, or to my editors and faithful agent, that I write by the seat of my pants. I don't outline AT ALL.  It's not out of laziness, I assure you.  I've tried outlining and I fail miserably at it in spite of getting great grades on the exercise in high school and college. I find it stilts my creativity instead of helping it. I also find my characters fight against an outline like an unbroken horse against an irritating bit. 

That's not to say I don't know the underlying story of Ghost in the Guacamole. I do, and I have several loose paragraphs describing it, and bullet points and characters jotted down on a huge white board next to my desk, which I could show you but it would give away too much of the book. I just don't have enough of the book done to know the bigger details and events.  And I won't know that until the book is much further along.  (Yeah, you heard right, the manuscript deadline is April.)

So this weekend, in between writing and an all day book event and a birthday dinner for one of my BFFs, I'll have my nose to the grindstone fleshing out a usable synopsis by Monday.

Piece o'cake, says this author trying to sound convincing

BTW!  There's lots of Granny action coming up. 

In March Dummy of a Ghost, the 2nd e-book novella will be released.

April will bring the release of Ghost of a Gamble, the 4th full-length Granny Apples novel for both print and e-readers.


Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Scary, but I have faith in you. You'll get it done.

Linda Rima said...

Deadlines can be a great motivator. I wrote great papers in college - the week before they were due. At least I go good grades.

Paul D. Marks said...

Sue Ann, I feel for you. I hate writing synopses or treatments...especially ahead of time. I'd rather write the script and then the synopsis afterwards. It's hard to think ahead and capture every detail of plot. I like to just write and fix it all in the editing and later drafts. -- Paul