Sunday, July 08, 2012

RIP, Andy & Ernie!

A few minutes ago, while I was working on my 8th Odelia Grey novel, the Twitter feed from the Los Angles affiliate of NBC flashed across my computer screen. The news: Ernest Borgnine had died. Less than a week ago, while I was on vacation, Andy Griffith passed away. Both were icons from my childhood.

Long before he was Matlock, Andy Griffith was everyone's favorite TV sheriff and single dad. Be honest, didn't most of us want to grow up barefoot and fishing with Andy Taylor? I know I sure did. 

And how many nights of laughter did Borgnine bring us in the improbable but highly entertaining McHale's Navy? Although my absolute favorite work by Ernest Borgnine was his role as the title character in Marty, the film that brought him an Oscar. I've seen that movie at least a dozen times and it never fails to move me.

Every few months I'm mourning the passing of part of my personal culture, reminding me that I'm getting pretty long in the tooth myself.

Thanks, guys, for letting us share your long and successful careers. You will be missed, but never far from our memories.

1 comment:

gregkshipman said...

Ditto for me, Sue Ann...

I was a big fan of Andy Griffith... I saw 'No Time For Sargeants' and became an instant fan. I even loved his comedy albums. As for Borgnine, he was an actor's actor. The man did it all... I also feel long in the tooth... but at least we still have teeth!