Tuesday, July 31, 2012

OMG! Just Two Months Left!

I'm trying not to panic. I have 62 days left to finish Bidding On Bodies. That's the working title of the 8th Odelia Grey novel and my current Work In Progress.

I've been working steadily on the manuscript, but it's going S-L-O-W, slower than usual. I'm not sure why. I have the story line, the characters gathered, and am moving along, but it's not moving nearly fast enough. Today when I woke up and headed to the computer, panic started to rise, but I beat it down like bubbling stomach acid and went to work.

This past Sunday, I scoured my apartment top to bottom. I don't know if it's just me, but I work much better when my personal space is tidy. With writing novels back-to-back with little time off between them, sometimes my apartment slips into seediness. At some point, I stop writing, take a good look around, and shiver with disgust. That's what happened this past weekend. Unable to keep my mind on my work, I stopped, picked up a mop, dust cloth, and sponge and went to work until the placed shined and I was sweaty and exhausted. I guess you could say it was my own personal Olympic event.

Now it's time to press the pedal to the metal.  I've written whole novels in two months before, so I know I can finish this one on time, but it might involve the intake of a lot of antacids. Something tells me my apartment won't be scrubbed thoroughly again until October 2nd. Until then, it will be more hit and miss maintenance.

Here are the first few paragraphs of Bidding On Bodies:

“Harpie bitch!” the woman with the bad bleach job shouted.

“Excuse me?” Horrified, I leaned back, a hand over my fast beating heart. It wasn’t uncommon for me to piss people off, but usually they knew me first. Without getting too close, I peered at the woman, wondering if we had met, but I’d forgotten. She appeared to be in her late twenties and was dressed in low-slung jeans and a no-longer-white white tank top that showed off her very buffed arms and shoulders, along with a plethora of tattoos. No bells of familiarity went off, though I was sorely tempted to give her some laundry tips.

Ina Bruce put a hand on my shoulder and pushed me aside a few inches. “Relax, Odelia. The nasty skank is talking to me.”
My WIP aside, in a few weeks the 7th Odelia Grey novel, Hide and Snoop, will be released.  I am very excited about this book. The early reviews have been great. Publisher's Weekly said of it: "...enormously entertaining ... offers tight plotting, first-class humor, and vivid descriptions."  

Sneak Peak of Hide and Snoop.

So really, I have to get most of Bidding On Bodies done in August because my weekends in September will be spent at book signings for Hide and Snoop. You can see my upcoming schedule in the sidebar to the right of this post.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pull on my big girl panties and get to work.

No comments: