Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Biking for Dollars - A Family Thing

Derek in the 2011 ride.
For several years, my nephew Tom rode in the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge for Cancer, even after he was diagnosed and successfully treated for the Big C himself. Tom doesn't ride in these events anymore, but last year my other nephew, Derek, the father of two beautiful children, picked up the challenge, the cause, and the legacy of his older brother.

On June 10, 2012, Derek will once again be riding 100 miles  to raise money for Bicycles Battling Cancer. 

In Derek's words:

I ride because I can. When I get tired I remember those who can't ride. What they would give to have this simple gift I take for granted. And I ride harder for them.

I know they would do the same for me.

I ride for my brother Tom. I ride for friends who have lost loved ones. I ride for my friends who have fought the fight themselves. I ride for everyone who is fighting the fight. I ride for everyone who has lost the fight. I ride so someday I won't have to ride for this fight anymore.

Derek is just shy of his goal. If you would like to support him in this endeavor, please click through to his donation page.

Tom and Derek make their auntie so proud!

No comments: