Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Have You Hugged Your Favorite Author Today?

Today, November 1st, is National Author's Day. No, really. We have our own special day.  And since you asked, here is a bit of historical background on it:

Nov 1. This observance was adopted by the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1929 and in 1949 was given a place on the list of special days, weeks and months prepared by the US Department of Commerce. The resolution states in part: “By celebrating an Authors’ Day as a nation, we would not only show patriotism, loyalty, and appreciation of the men and women who have made American literature possible, but would also encourage and inspire others to give of themselves in making a better America.” It was also resolved “that we commemorate an Authors’ Day to be observed on November First each year.”

While I'd like to think I'd make a few readers' lists of favorite authors, I have my own:  Walter Mosley, Charles Dickens, Naomi Hirahara, Kelli Stanley, Megan Abbott, Terry McMillan, John Irving, Upton Sinclair, Lisa Scottoline. This list is by no means complete. It's just a start. If I listed all my favs, I'd never make it out the door this morning.

Today is also the kickoff of NaNoWriMo, the annual novel writing marathon. For the entire month of November, participants push to complete 50,000 words on a novel. By the way, there is no time off for Thanksgiving. Writing while stirring the turkey gravy or peeling potatoes is all part of the process.

I don't participate personally in NaNoWriMo, but every November finds me on a crushing deadline to finish a book by the end of the year. 2011 is no different.  While NaNoWriMo participants are struggling to complete their 50,000 words, I'll have my sorry ass glued to my chair to finish Odelia #7. It's my own personal NaNoWriMo competition. I figure if I write 50,000 words this month, the book will be beyond done and I'll have a little breathing room for editing.

On my mark. Get Set. GO!

But don't forget to give me my hug. I'll need it.

4 comments:

gregkshipman said...

If you remember me (and I'd be crushed if you didn't... and I think there's an OSHA reg against being crushed in the workplace)you'll also remember I placed you on the 'Greg's List' of my fav-o-rite authors...

In view of your being my fav-o-rite I would love to give you a hug but, goshdarnit, my arms (though long)are not 3,000 plus miles long. Soooo... think huggie from Alaska thoughts this here day!

Mark said...

Hugs!

Dru said...

{{{hugs}}}

Thanks for your wonderful stories.

chelsea said...

Hugs to you, Sue Ann! This is my very first NaNoWriMo & while I do not expect to complete a novel worth reading, it's simply about the process of being disciplined enough to sit down and write daily. Good luck to you on Odelia #7, I look forward to reading it!