Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wonk It To Me!

This year is the 40th anniversary of the movie Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. I'm not talking about the creepy Tim Burton/Johnny Depp version (at least I found it creepy), but the wonderful 1971 movie starring Gene Wilder. 

Today Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory was playing on the Family Channel on TV, and even though I had a To Do List as long as Shaq's leg, I stopped what I was doing and watched it. Of course, I'd seen it before, several times, but there's something special about turning 40, especially if you are a beloved movie starring one of my favorite comic actors.


Wonka's kids now - "Charlie Bucket"
 is next to Gail Simmons
A few weeks ago I was watching Top Chef Just Desserts and the actors who played the children in the 1971 movie were guests. The challenge for the chefs was to create an edible and fanciful environment in honor of the movie's 40th birthday. The chefs knocked themselves out with great success. You can catch that episode in rerun if you have On Demand.

Okay, time to get back to tackling housework and the several writing projects crowding my plate. But for 2 hours, it was great to get lost in the world of pure imagination.  Not that I don't do that with my books, but my novels don't have chocolate waterfalls and edible wallpaper. Trust me, I've checked.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willie Wonka

3 comments:

gregkshipman said...

Sue Ann—
I have three top small screen cinema events:
1. The Wire
2. Dexter
3. The Wire

However; I never, ever pass up watching “The Absent-Minded Professor” (the real one with Fred McMurray). Even as a kid with little whimsical in my life, that movie did it for me (still does).

By the by, Fred McMurray happens to be the male role in my top Film Noir (Double Indemnity) along with Femme Fatale, Barbara Stanwyck.

Happy Sunday and here's Wonking it to you!

Lady Ursula said...

"To Do list as long as Shaq's leg." Ha! Ha! Ha!

Mark said...

I don't know, I watched this one once and found it overly creepy and weird. Plus I hated the changes they made to the book (Charlie disobeying Wonka being the biggest.)

I liked the one with Depp better, although it's still not a perfect adaptation either.