Monday, October 17, 2011

Haunted By Books

On Criminal Minds today, I'm listing books that haunt me. For better or for worse, no matter how many years go by, I just can't get something about them out of my mind.

Are you haunted by something you've read?


Shirley said...

Two books stick in my mind. "Rebecca," by Daphne DuMaurier - because of Mrs Danvers' hateful character, and the description of Manderly itself. I think I've read the book at least 5 times, plus listened to it on audio books several more times.

The second book is "The Chrysalids," by John Wyndham. This vision of a post-apocalypse world is truly gripping and scary at the same time. It's even better to listen to the audio book - you'll be hooked and won't want to do anything else until the book is finished.

gregkshipman said...

I've found your blog stimulating and thought-provoking...

I would say I start my day with a cup of 'joe' and your blog but truth is: a. I start my day whining about having to get up early (anytime before noon is early... and I have to be to work by 8AM!) b. I don't drink 'joe' (or coffee or any variation designed and distributed by Starbucks) and finally c. your blog need not be saddled with a cup of 'joe' to have a morning 'jolt' (even at noon!)

great job, Sue Ann!... but 'scuse me for now... it's 9AM and I gotta go whine to somebody... anybody!

Vickie said...

THE DESCENT - Jeff Long, a horror book about the discovery of Hell. SO good, but I had to read it in the daytime. And it has stayed with me.

NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE: The Biography of Jim Morrison - Danny Sugarman and Jerry Hopkins. A well written biography of a haunted man.

Lady Ursula said...

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving is a book I have read numerous times. Every time I finish it, I look forward to starting it again. SO much meaning!