Monday, August 29, 2011

Gray Matter


My last color job 8/13/11
My last post was about changes to my writing career.  But why stop there? Once on a roll, I believe in letting the momentum continue.  So stay tuned for changes in me.  Specifically, changes in my hair.

I started coloring my hair with permanent color in my early 40's. I had some gray, but not a lot. Just enough to make me cringe. Before that I got the occasional highlights or rinse, but not a full color job.  Since I started dyeing my hair in earnest, I've done it every 5-6 weeks, sometimes at home but mostly at a salon.

A few weeks ago I posted this photo on Facebook.  I took it myself with my iPhone while waiting at my salon for the color to set.  Take a good look at it, because it's the last time you'll see anything like that from me.

You see, I've decided to go au naturel.  I've made the decision to let my gray streak fly and to do it proudly. I've wanted to do this for some time, but I've finally worked up the courage to go for it.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm turning 60 next year, or maybe it's because so many women I know have done it in the past few years.  No matter the reason, it's time.

My stylist says he has a rinse that will help the transition, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go that route or simply go "skunk" for the next six months or so.  I'm luckier than many women. My hair grows very fast and I wear it short, so the transition time should be less for me.

One of my readers and Facebook friends, Lori Olsen, recently sent me a link to a website called Going Gray Looking Great.  It's full of helpful advice and before and after and in between shots of women who've made the change.  You can see the full change in Lori on Going Gray's "Graduate" page. I think she looks GREAT!

So if you see me at a book signing in the next few months and my hair looks... um ... well, very odd, you'll know why.  Go ahead and laugh because I'll find it funny, too.  Just don't point. Okay?

5 comments:

Lori said...

Sue Ann,
Thanks so much for the shout out!! I'm excited for you to go gray...I know you will look fabulous!! =)

Mark said...

Point, don't laugh. Got it. ;)

Lady Ursula said...

Excellent. Any color looks good on a woman so long as she "owns" it.

gregkshipman said...

My grandmom went gray at 60... 2 years after my mom (who went at 40 because of my brother... God knows not because of me). My dad said he was attracted to gray-haired women because it's distinguished (actually he meant they're older, slower, easier to catch). In my opinion, Baltimore Alaskan that I am, I agree you will look fabulicious (gray, no-gray or gray-ish)... Happy Changes!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Stay tuned, folks. Regular pics to follow.