Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You're a Notary? Really?

Today at lunch I munched on a Lean Cuisine while reading my latest copy of The National Notary.  Specifically, what grabbed my attention was an article entitled "A Celebration of the American Notary." 

Did you know that Judge Roy Bean, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), and even Jennifer Lopez all served as notaries?  Me neither! 

Reading that reminded me of a blog post I did almost two years ago on Inkspot about how my writing world and my paralegal/notary worlds often collide, so below is an update of that blog post.

As most of you know, by day I work as a paralegal in a law firm in Los Angeles. Mornings, evenings, and weekends, I don my author cape and crank out mysteries. Sometime my two careers overlap.

It’s wonderful in a weird sort of way. Like the time I called the California Secretary of State’s corporate division and identified myself as Sue Ann Jaffarian, paralegal with XYZ. The woman on the other end paused, then said, “Did you know there’s a writer by that name? Are you related?” When I told her I was both the paralegal and the writer, she told me how a friend had turned her on to my books. She also asked why I was still working as a paralegal.

Um, maybe because I'm adicted to food, shelter and healthcare?

Then there was the time our attorney service, the company that files our corporate documents all over the nation, called me and said when one of them ordered a book from Amazon, one of my books popped up as a recommended purchase. “Is that you?” they asked.


Or the day I called another paralegal at another firm to discuss some documents. I identified myself as I usually do and was met with the usual pause, followed by a skeptical, “You are not.”

Yeah, I am.  (She also asked why I'm still working in law - see answer above.)

Please know that situations like these don’t happen every day, but they do happen often enough to give me the warm and fuzzies and inform me that people are, indeed, reading my books. At least people involved with the California paralegal community.

In addition to being a paralegal, I am also a California commissioned Notary, and I must have mentioned that fact somewhere in my travels because once I received an e-mail asking me to perform a notarization. Since I don’t offer notary services to the general public, the request stymied me. The woman turned out to be an avid reader of my books and really did need a notary. Remembering I was one, she thought it would be cool to have me perform the service and have my signature on her document, complete with my official seal. I politely declined, informing her that I only provided notary services in the course of my job with the law firm. She was disappointed, but graciously understood.

By the way, my signature is not the same as my autograph. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Seems ole Sam Clemens and I aren't the only writers who were or are notaries. According to the article, Dave Berry is one, too.

Who'd a thunk it?


gregkshipman said...

My two careers often collide in unexpected ways... and I would explain further but I'm spending most of my free time (and paid time) trying to figure out what my two careers are. My dad often told me that one day I'd be successful, unfortunately I was watching episodes of 'Dexter' and missed the one day it happened (oh well, there's always the next life... isn't there???)

Sarah said...

Sue I understand...I run a summer camp program..and afterschool program during the school year...all my spare time is taken up with my children and my art! Always a balance! Keep up the writing..cause I can't wait for the next one!
Truly, Sarah

Denris Lagong said...

After passing your state exam you will then need to purchase a bond, and your supplies. Supplies consist of a journal, which you will sequentially maintain all of your notarial acts.

where can i find a notary?

Anonymous said...

Great blog! wanted to share a 21 dollar notary course. Just type in 21 in the promo box to get the discount.