Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Hunger To Read and Learn

As I do most Sundays, I went to breakfast today. Sometimes I meet a friend, but often I go alone, armed with the book I’m currently reading. I like to go early, between 8 and 9, before the crowds hit, which is one of the reasons I usually go alone. Most of my friends like to sleep in on Sunday.

I have my favorite restaurants and my destination is usually chosen depending on what type of food I’m craving or what the weather is like. My usual haunts are:

Nickel Diner in Downtown Los Angeles for biscuits and gravy, though many other items look scrumptious and they are famous for their donuts.

Overland Café for crab cake benedict and great omelets, and I can walk there from my apartment.

Spitfire Grill across from the Santa Monica airport because they have a comfy patio and good omelets.

Grub in Hollywood for many items, including their "frigging amazing French toast" (yes, that's what it's called) and to die for "Ooh La La egg sandwich" which must have a gajillion calories. They also have a tiny and adorable patio.

Today I chose The Nickel Diner. The book by my side was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, a book that has been on my TBR list for a very long time.  I had started the book the night before but only read a couple of pages before I dropped off to sleep. My niece is reading this along with me, which is a real treat, so I wanted to catch up.

While waiting for my breakfast, I sipped my coffee and read. The book grabbed me from the beginning and wouldn’t let go. When the waitress set breakfast in front of me, I barely looked up. I ate on autopilot as I turned the pages, totally lost in the dark, painful world of Katniss Everdeen.

The ending of the first chapter didn’t surprise me, but it certainly affected me greatly. I kept eating, broken only by sips of delicious coffee and nods to the attentive wait staff that kept my mug full. The second chapter also didn’t surprise me, but by page 24 I was unable to keep eating. I shoved what was left of my breakfast aside and kept reading. The waitress came over to see if I wanted anything else. She looked at me oddly and asked if I was okay. You see, I was crying, silently sobbing. I said I was fine and pointed at the book as if that explained everything.

For another 30 minutes I read and drank coffee, until I dragged myself out of the booth. I could have sat there all day but they had a line for tables and I had errands to run.

I’m a bit worried about The Hunger Games. I’m only on the 3rd chapter, but I thought about it on the drive home and while I did my grocery shopping. If I can’t shake it now, what is it going to be like a few more chapters in? OMG! I'm gonna be a real mess.

One thing I know for sure, reading The Hunger Games is making me a better writer.

1 comment:

Suzsqueak said...

I enjoyed the Hunger Games, but reading this I started craving the maple bacon donut from Nickel Diner. One of my first jobs was with one of the owners of Grub and I can't recommend the grilled cheese and tomato soup enough there. Now that I'm in Irvine, I haven't found any restaurants for breakfast that equal Nickel Diner, Toast or Grub.